Wyoming Mule Deer 2014/ DIY backpack hunt

375ultramag

My Brother In-Law And I Are Planning A Backpack Mule Deer Hunt In Wyoming Next Fall But Really Don't Know What Would Be A Good Area To Look At. We Have Hunted In Newcastle,WY. Four Times With Decent Success But Just Staying At A Motel And Driving To Walk-In Areas Just Don't Seem Like The Real Deal. We Want To Pack In Our Gear For A Few Miles, Set Up Camp And Hunt Like It Should Be. ANY Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Also We Gotta Be Cautious About Wilderness Areas Because We Are Nonresidents. Thanks For Your Time.

If you're using mules/horses and packing in and want huge deer, I recommend Region Y. The Northern Big Horns.

Go to Burges Junction (Hwy 14 west of Ranchester). At Burges Junction go west on 14A. As you drive look north.

You'll see the tree lines and bald mountains above the tree lines. Now get above those tree lines and set up.

As most people know, deer bed down during the day, come out late in the evening, normally coming down to feed.

Not there, not the big critters, they go up. So set up on a ridge so you can glass the upper edges of the tree line and you'll find some huge mulies.

If you don't spot anything from your spike camp, then just move along the tree line until you do.

This is the perfect place for using horses, you wont get there on ATVs. Deer season concedes with elk season in this area. You're going to have ATVs and Trucks road hunting which helps keep the big deer high.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.