Distance to see .22 and .30 caliber holes in paper?

engineer40

Hey everyone. I purchased an inexpensive spotting scope a while back. I've been fairly surprised at what I've been able to view through it. It's a 20-60x60.

I could read a guy's t-shirt across my in-laws lake ranged at 780 yards. It said Snapper, which I'm assuming is the kind of lawnmower he owns. :)

I've only had the chance to take it shooting once so far. I could easily see 22 caliber bullet holes in a standard paper (not splatter) target at 150 yards. We did not try longer than 150 yards that day because I was mainly letting my son shoot.

I have viewed the moon a couple times on clear evenings and it blew my mind the details I could see in the craters and on the surface.

Just today I was reading the reviews for it and many of the people were saying it's only a 100 yard capable spotting scope with 30 caliber sized holes. Well, obviously I know that is not true.

The whole thing just got me wondering how far you guys are able to see your bullet holes in paper with better spotting scopes? I'm quite curious. Thanks!

I sold all my spotters. I can easily see 6.5 bullet holes at 410 yards with either of my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 set on 25X. It is even easier to see detail if I turn them up to 30X. I could see .224 bullet holes in the white with a Tasco World Class 6-24X40 at 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.