Dillon XL 650 - for 30-06; help me overcome...

tfrag06

I wonder if I should be focused on running ball powders to get a better powder drop...

Right now I have IMR4320 and IMR4350 for 150gr. HPBT Matchkings(.308), and 170gr Lapua Match(.309), Win brass, WLR primers, std Dillon dies.

I'm looking for two three things:
1. Advise on how to best employ the progressive rig ('cause that's what I have right now)
2. Advise on effective recipes for the -06 (prefer 168 - 180)
3. General advise/input from this experienced croud of reloaders - shooters.

I'm pretty darn excited about getting into it again and have been reading a fair amount thus far.

Quantity rarely equals quality - I got it... My goal is MOA. I also left room on the bench for another press once the old lady recovers from my initial purchase. I'm ugly, but not stupid - HAH!

Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally I would take the powder measurer off of the die plate and weigh out the loads individualy. The dillon presses that I have used were better than some preese that I have used, but metering powder accuratly I prefer to weigh out each chargeand trickle up.

I agree completely. There is no reason you can't use the progressive press in single-stage operation and measure your charges. Dillon makes a powder die for their AT 500 (a RL 550B with no extras) that is an open die with a funnel on the top. With this die, you could measure your powder charge on a scale, then dump the scale into the funnel and resume all other operations automatically.

This should get you MOA pretty easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.