Hornady LNL progressive or Dillon 650 press??

marchboom

I have been considering the purchase of a Hornady LNL Progessive press or a Dillon 650. Read numerous posts where the Hornady press had some problems regarding case ejection.

Considering the difference in price, what would be the better press? And could I load accurate varmint loads on these machines? :confused:

Thanks for your input.

I wouldnt load on a progressive unless you need such high volume of rounds that you cannot pay attention to detail while preparing your cases, throwing powder or seating the bullets.-

Say you unprime and resize (1st step).. then you have to take the case off, trim, clean primer pocket, deburr, ...at least .- then back into the press for priming....and so on...

In my opinion you´d be better off with a single stage press and an electronic powder dispenser.

But if you go for the progressive, I have only heard good things about the Dillons.- absolutely reliable.

I have a L-N-L AP and love it. Yes the ejection wire needs work, I ended up rounding the edge of the shell plates a touch. It is WAY better than a 550B, not comparable apples to apples because the AP is auto indexing. The 650 has a case feeder system, much more money but definately a bonus. Youcan get a case feeding kit for the Hornady though. The Dillon is good but HIGHLY OVER-RATED due to popularity, guys are just so happy to have a progressive they get tunnel vision. The spare parts repair kit for the Dillon made me suspicious, the Hornady doesn't brake and doesn't need a spare parts repair kit. I have a Hornady single stage press and a LEE Classic Cast press [for the BMG] with the bushing adapter. I bought a big bag of bushings and have them on everything, love it. The LEE cast is better than the Hornady single BTW.

Rifle ammo is cheaper to buy in bulk for plinking than to reload. I quit loading 223 ammo on the Hornady, worked great but was the same price as factory bulk.

Look at either the standard L-N-L AP, with the case feeder system or the Dillon 650 and decide which of the three you want looking at the 3 distinctly different prices. Don't worry, all are quality.

Cheers,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts