Dillon 650

engineer40

Certainly not giving up my single stage for rifle reloading.

However I've been researching progressive presses for the last few months.

I got frustrated trying to decide between the Hornady LNL AP, the Dillon 650, and the Dillon 550. So eventually I just ordered the Lee Loadmaster because it was cheap and I was sick of reading so many differing opinions on the Hornady and Dillons.

I've had great luck with the Lee reloading stuff that I've already purchased over the last year. Even though their progressive presses do not get fantastic reviews, I've had such good luck with their stuff and my dad has been using a Lee Pro 1000 for close to 30 years.

Anyways, after a week of waiting I never got Tracking info for the Lee Loadmaster to be shipped to me. Contacted FS Reloading and they let me know they didn't have any in stock and didn't know when they will get more. Hmm, interesting... Their website said they were in stock. They took my money to sell me one. How did they not even let me know it was going to take so long. Sub-par customer service. So I cancelled the Lee Loadmaster order.

Walking through a local gun show today I see a brand new Dillon 650 (still in a unopened box) for sale for $520. That's cheaper than I've seen ANYWHERE online. Plus no shipping to pay for and no sales tax. So I got it!

I'm pretty happy that I finally chose a direction with a progressive. And I don't feel like I compromised by getting the Lee Loadmaster.

So now I'll be doing some research on caliber conversions. Seems like Dillon really nickel and dimes you for everything.

There are other sources for die holders and some other parts where you can save quite a bit.

Everybody say's go Dillon. I've heard you need to use Dillon dies and that was a deal breaker for me. The bottom line is that unless you can load off a friends set up, you just gotta buy one and see how you like it.

I bought a Hornady LnL AP. It works good and changing out calibers, once you've set them up is a snap. I've heard they tend to need some adjustment every so often and primer seating is touchy. For me, this is true although I don't have anything to compare it to and haven't found it to be an major issue after having worked with it and understand it a little better. I did have a piece of the priming assembly chip and gum up things and I forced it and broke a plastic piece. There was an extra in the kit so I was back in business in a little while. Parts replacement from Hornady was fast. I do not focus on loading "fast" because it leads to mistakes but I loaded 50, 45 ACP's in just over 8 minutes where as, it would have taken me at least a couple hours on my single stage. You gotta be careful though. In the beginning, I had my share of squib loads and was lucky to catch some double charges. Here's a secret. Use a headlight if your lighting doesn't give you perfect light into the shell when you throw a powder charge. Anyway... the Dillon is tried and true and everyone swears by it. Customer service is said to be awesome. Check if you need to use Dillon dies with their set up. Hornady... I like it but what do I know? Anyway... they probably all work and sometimes it just boils down to blue or red.

I know about Brian Enos's website. Are there other places? Thanks.

I think that might be the same Brian Enos I went to school with.

Check out YouTube for operating and trouble shooting certain progressive presses. Those videos are very informative. Ultimately, you'll end up buying one and that's where any opinion that matters begins. Sometimes you just gotta throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

I have a Dillon 650 and love it. I started on a 550. I have never used a single stage press. I currently load 22-250, 204 and 223. Caliber conv takes a coupe mins max. If you figure out what combo shoots best for you gun you can set up your 650 to load exactly the way you want. You don't have to use Dillon dies. I use a different manufactures dies for each caliber actually. Redding, RCBS, and Hornady. I do make sure my dies are clean before each loading session. I also don't load in a true progressive style. I do it in 3 stages. Using 2 tool heads for each caliber. 1 tool head for resizing and 1 for powder, bullet seating and bullet crimping. 1st after cleaning brass I run all cases thru the resize die. Polish 8-12hrs. Then I check every case in a case gauge. Trim,chamfer, Debur if needed. Clean flash hole, uniform primer pockets. Then all cases go back into hopper and I primer the cases. I do this stage by itself so I can feel the primer being seated and if there is a problem I can stop with out interfering with the whole progressive stages. Then they all go back into the I put in the 2nd tool head and start loading the primered cases. I polished all my powder die parts to assist in accurate powder charge. It takes a little longer but my loads are consistent they shoot better then factory ammo and cost a lot less.

I went long on last post. My point is you will enjoy your 650. It is worth every penny. Dillion's do cost more but you get what you pay for. Thier warranty cannot be beat. I have had mine for 5yrs. I keep it cleaned and lubed and have not had to use the warranty yet. But knowing it's there is a good feeling. I load any where from 15000-20000 rnds every year and again have not had any issues. I load mainly for hunting prairie dogs so accuracy is important. You can't go wrong with a Dillon

I have a 550 for pistol and volume rifle stuff and love it. I want to upgrade to a 650 down the road eventually. Brian Enos' site is good place to get Dillon stuff from. The accessories, changeover kits, etc seem a little high to me compared to other stuff, but the Dillon "No BS" guarantee more than makes up for it. With your 650, if you break anything, even if its your fault, call them and they'll send you a replacement.

I have a Dillon 650 and love it. I started on a 550. I have never used a single stage press. I currently load 22-250, 204 and 223. Caliber conv takes a coupe mins max. If you figure out what combo shoots best for you gun you can set up your 650 to load exactly the way you want. You don't have to use Dillon dies. I use a different manufactures dies for each caliber actually. Redding, RCBS, and Hornady. I do make sure my dies are clean before each loading session. I also don't load in a true progressive style. I do it in 3 stages. Using 2 tool heads for each caliber. 1 tool head for resizing and 1 for powder, bullet seating and bullet crimping. 1st after cleaning brass I run all cases thru the resize die. Polish 8-12hrs. Then I check every case in a case gauge. Trim,chamfer, Debur if needed. Clean flash hole, uniform primer pockets. Then all cases go back into hopper and I primer the cases. I do this stage by itself so I can feel the primer being seated and if there is a problem I can stop with out interfering with the whole progressive stages. Then they all go back into the I put in the 2nd tool head and start loading the primered cases. I polished all my powder die parts to assist in accurate powder charge. It takes a little longer but my loads are consistent they shoot better then factory ammo and cost a lot less.

I haven't tried any rifle ammo on it yet, but I know it can be done.

I'm curious how well it will do on runout once I try. I've read that the Dillon toolhead design doesn't do the best with reloading concentric rifle ammo.

Thanks for all of your tips! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts