dilemma over bullets and powder

dmax1800

My 300 win mag shoots Barnes 168 TTSX with IMR 4831 and Nosler 180 accubonds with RL22 equally well. The Barnes are going a little faster, about 80 to 100 fps faster, but the accubonds carry a little more lead and have a higher BC. I have heard that RL22 is somewhat temperature sensitive. I'll be hunting elk where the temp might be 25 degrees or 65 degrees.
Since my rifle likes both of them, which would you pick and why???

Thanks.

What is your expected distance? If you plan to hunt them at longrange, I would recommend the 180accubond for its higher BC.

Although RL22 is temp sensitive, you can develop a sensitivity chart for your load so that you know the effect of 10 degree temp changes.

For this year I'm expecting to shoot a max of 400 to 500 yards. Yes, I know that by everyone else's standards, this is not long range. According to a ballistic app on Zeiss's website, the Barnes 168 is shooting a little flatter than the Nosler accubonds, probably because of the higher velocity.
How would I develop such a temperature sensitivity chart for RL22???

If your long shot would be 'just' 500 yards (and that is longrange) go with the 168barnes. You get less temp sensitivity with the IMR powder and because of the increased velocity it will shoot flatter at that distance.

To develop a temp sensitivity chart, with your ballistic software, run your ballistics at the various temps you expect to engage. then analyze the differences. This will give you a rough idea of the change. Also, if you can, chrono your load at various temps and note the differences in velocity. Then develop a chart based on each velocity. If you run place the charts side by side you would begin to see a pattern.

I hunted many years in Colorado with a 300 WM, shooting either 165 Ballistic Tips or 180 Partitions. Both used RL22 for powder. Had no problems with accuracy at any temperature. Your concerns are baseless. I shot these loads at anywhere from 80+ to 0 degrees.
BTW, I lived in Colorado for 35 years before moving.

I'm using the Barnes 168 ttsx IMR 4831 for elk this year. Used it last year on mule deer. Went from sighting in on the East coast 70-90 degrees to 4500 feet in Texas 50-70 degrees with no change. Not extreme but a change nonetheless. Killed a desert mule deer at 350 yards. Ranged iit, turned the Z5 BT to 350 and let it eat!

I'm using the Barnes 168 ttsx IMR 4831 for elk this year. Used it last year on mule deer. Went from sighting in on the East coast 70-90 degrees to 4500 feet in Texas 50-70 degrees with no change. Not extreme but a change nonetheless. Killed a desert mule deer at 350 yards. Ranged iit, turned the Z5 BT to 350 and let it eat!

At 350 yards a velocity variance of 100fps would be immaterial (~.25moa). At 1000 yards though, a 100fps variance in velocity is quite material (~1.5moa). Which is to say that if your shots are inside 4-500 some velocity variance is not anything to worry about but when the distance gets long, variances need to be tight.

Go shoot some groups with both at 500 yards and let the rifle tell you which one to use.

Also if you are shooting both from the same barrel and not cleaning all the copper fouling out from the Barnes between you could be setting up for a loss of accuracy from some severe coper fouling. The mix of these two copper alloys in the barrel can bond in the tube. I recommend a Bottle of BoreTech Eliminator and a good cleaning. And no, a substitute for the BoreTech will not do it as well.

Jeff

Broz,
I'm not shooting the 2 bullets in the same session. I clean the barrel with Boretech carbon remover then Boretech copper remover after every 20 rounds, as recommended by my gunsmith. Each session is started with shooting 5 fouler rounds, then shoot for record. I recently had a gunsmith look at the barrel and my cleaning technique is apparently working.
Do you think the Boretech Eliminator is better than the carbon and copper remover???

Broz,
I'm not shooting the 2 bullets in the same session. I clean the barrel with Boretech carbon remover then Boretech copper remover after every 20 rounds, as recommended by my gunsmith. Each session is started with shooting 5 fouler rounds, then shoot for record. I recently had a gunsmith look at the barrel and my cleaning technique is apparently working.
Do you think the Boretech Eliminator is better than the carbon and copper remover???

Good deal!

I use the CU+2 for stubborn copper. But you need to combine the use with the C-4 carbon cleaner as CU+2 is only a copper solvent.

Eliminator gets both copper and carbon and is what I use for general cleaning.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.