Did the laser RF killed the MilDot ??

Gustavo

I wonder if the laser RF killed or not the MilDot or other type of reticle used to aid in distance determination.

I guess out there are many experienced users who can give some insight on this.

tks!

Gus

The mildot reticle can be used for many things in addition to ranging (as can any calibrated and marked reticle).

The mildot (or other calibrated reticle) is great for movers and hold-offs.

It is also cool to have a mil dot when all the other guys in the group are using duplex rets. I love to get the question "what are those bumps for?" Then a new long range shooter sprouts from the ground.

hehehe... also, when batteries die mil-dots may just save the day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My experience was that I was not consistently accurate when ranging w/the mil dot. LRF solved that (when you get a reading).

However, the mil dot is the cats meow for hold over w/o clicking. Really like it.

I don't think so . Mildot ranging is within that maxim " KISS " .LRF 's reqire batteries . Lrf's don't always read ( especially flat country with no sizable verticals ) .

I think the ability to go either way is the place to be . Now ...........where is that blinking mildot master book at anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gotta go study now .

Jim B.

Mil-Dots work well for their intended use human targets. Even then a LRF is more accurate. For a hunting situation with four leg creatures they're a waste. For their intended use any hit is a good hit.

I dissagree. Most critters I hunt while using mil-dots are about 18" from back to belly. 27.778*18 = 500. 500 is a constant for 18" critters. If it takes up 1 mil its 500 yards if it takes up 1/2 mil its 1000 yards, 2 mils is 250 yards. You get the point. I regularly get readings from my LRF within 25 yards of my calculation by mil-dot out to 750 yards. 25 yards with the 308 at 750 is quite a bit but 1 quick sighter shot and youre in buisness. I agree that LRF's are way better but there is no harm in practicing for when the unit goes T.U.

I didn't say I don't like mil-dots, but for hunting animals I can't say all I hunt are 18" Even so for me, I would rather take out the guess work, range it dial it and kill it. There are enough other variables to deal with besides having to estimate animal size. Through practice I can say my chances of a 1 shot kill are greatly increased by the use of a LRF.

However, don't you see a less than bright future in light of the new developments in LRF??

I share the common notion of still using the MilDot, on the other hand it's very fun!

I made the original post to make a point. I remember how many people "forgot" minimal navigation skills when GPS appeared.

Maybe...mildots are goingo to follow the same path

Personally, if the Mil-Dot's popularity fades, I feel it will be because of the newer style ranging reticles rather than the LRF's. Holland's MOA reticle, the Boone & Crockett and the Varmint Hunter's reticles from Leupold, the various special purpose reticles from Nightforce, all of those will kill the Mil-Dot first, I think. But that's just one man's opinion.
Good luck and Good shooting,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.