Who's using The Mildot Reticles

My "go to" rifle (an SPS Tactical 308) has a Leupold Mark 2 6-18x40mm AO scope with a mil-dot reticle on it.

Its a neat little setup...freaky accurate.

I use two 3 - 18X 42mm IOR SFP with MP-8, just like yours.

Also a 4.5-14X 44mm Zeiss Conquest Mil-dot with target turrets.

I'm useing 3 6x24 IOR set @ 18x and a 3-18 set @ 18 so the hash marks are MOA instead of ½mills. The 2 fixed IOR 16x's I have to set the drop charts up in ½ mil but they are on guns that have very close trajectories. Have a Sightron 3-9 mildot on my calling gun in 223 and a Tasco 3-9 on my 22lr.
Once the guns are zeroed the dials never get touched, drop charts are worked up for every dot or hash and holdover is figured out from there.
Works fer me as I dropped my goat on Wensday @ 455yards and a mulie on Thursday @ 619:cool:

I have a 6-18x Nikon Buckmasters MD on a 17 MIV XP-100 handgun that i use for prairie dog shooting. I have windage calcd for 18x (2.4 inch per hudred yds. subtension between dots and basically a 1/2" dot at that power). I run turret for elevation.

I also use an 8.5-25x Leup. TMR on a 6.5 WSM XP-100 handgun (love the .2 mil. line stadia for rangefinding but don't use it much for that in the field).

Are you guys using the mil's and doing all the caculations? Or just using the dots as hold over dots? For big game hunting I prefer a hold over reticle like the Zeiss Rapid Z or another one of the hold over reticles.... Zeiss has one for 600 & 800 yards... the 600 matches up with standard cartridges and the 800 for magnum cartridges. Give me a laser rangefinder, an accurate rifle, a solid rest and no wind and we're in business! NJS P.S. Don't forget to practice too...

I'm using a Leupold MK 4 PR 4.5-14x40 w/mil dots sitting a custom built 300 wby. I have used the reticule to range and setup a range card however I find using a laser range finder to be easier. But remember this range finders use batteries and can easily be put out of commission. Thus is is important to have a backup, which for use that use ranging reticules should be our scopes. That is what those reticules where designed to do.

Are you guys using the mil's and doing all the caculations? Or just using the dots as hold over dots? For big game hunting I prefer a hold over reticle like the Zeiss Rapid Z or another one of the hold over reticles.... Zeiss has one for 600 & 800 yards... the 600 matches up with standard cartridges and the 800 for magnum cartridges. Give me a laser rangefinder, an accurate rifle, a solid rest and no wind and we're in business! NJS P.S. Don't forget to practice too...

NJS
Welcome to LRH
I use the system for ranging to either holdover or dial in and have a range card for the holdovers from 50-700 yrds.
Here's a bit of info for you.
thankyou
ShooterReady
But like anything you have to practice a lot to get good at it. I do my practice with my .223 because the ammo is cheap and once in a while I'll do the same with my 06.

A rangefinding reticle is a ballistic reticle is a rangefinding reticle. The mil-ranging formula is actually used for both rangefinding and downrange zeroing, since a bullet drop at any distance is in a way the same as a tgt. size, for example suppose we want to know what the holdover would be for a bullet that drops 30" @ 500 yds. in inch per hundred yds.--

30 x 100 / X / 1.0 = 500

X=6 inch per hundred yds.

Suppose we now want to know how far away a 30" tgt. is when it fits between 2 6 inch per 100 yd. stadia lines--

30 x 100 / 6 / 1.0 = X

X=500 yds.

...so any ranging reticle can easily become a ballistic reticle and vice versa.

I love playing around with reticle-rangefinding, and reverse milling concepts. Recently we actually measured the size of a tgt. @ 1000 yd. using a mil-dot reticle at a power other than calibrated, and we were within 0.3" from true tgt. size. This struff is a kick and will flat amaze u at how accurate it can be.

I use Leupold in the TMR and MIL-Dot prefer the TMR, I use Nightforce MLR 3.5-15x50mm, USO w/ the GAP MIL RET, and S&B 4-16x42mm w/ a MIL LINE RET.

I prefer MIL Line Reticles myself.

Mike @ CSGW

i used 16x fix power scope ior, and 8x32x56 NSX with moa npr1 reticle.
Always just hold over for hunting. works for me very well.

I have two factory rifles that wear standard duplex type reticles. These rifles don't get used much. My custom rifles all have some sort of Mil based reticle. We have two Leupolds, one with standard mil dot, one with TMR which i really like. One Nightforce with MLR (Thanks Mike at CS Gunworks!) and a USO on my primary rifle with the GAP reticle. If I'm shooting something close, less than 300 yds, I can usually eyeball it pretty good. Further than that, the LRF comes out. And I always pack extra batteries for the Kestrel and LRF. I usually dial all my elevations.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.