using the P3 reticle PMII

Strick9

I just purchased a SnB PmII 3x12x50 non illuminated no paralax with P3..couldn't resist the price and it is coming with badger rings..Almost went NF but I gotta have flip caps always dusty or raining here and can't stand bikini covers. My dillema is I got the MOA down pat.. this is mill dot and 1 cm clicks, so I know 1 mill = 3.6 inches at 100 yds and 36 at 1000. This is a FFP so am I thinking right that in this scope, If my bullet drop is 44.4 inches( 300wsm 180 grn accubond) at 500 yd, I need to hold over by 2.46 mill dots or could I click up 112.8 clicks ( One inch= 2.54 cm), the first seems right however 112.8 clicks... ouch, not even sure I have that travel? I have looked around a lot and can't find any laymens guides to using the P3 mill dot..Any help is appreciated as I am trying to get a drop on the learning curve.. Any of you guys use it and what are your tricks of the trade or any links to a good reference in laymens terms.I want to set this up for up to 1000yds but most likely 6-800 yds so I am thinking 20 moa bases Feed back is greatly appreciated.Kindest Regards

Last edited:
Forget all about inches and cm and MOA. You don't need them anymore. Start thinking in Mils the way you used to think about MOA and you'll pick it up quickly. Edit to add quick answer: 2.46 Mils, round to 2.5. Dial scope to 2.5. You're done. "1 cm clicks" is unfortunately confusing to some. I believe the new S&B's are labeled .1 Mrad Clicks. It's the same thing, so forget all about cm's.

Use drop/drift data in Mils. 1 Mil = 10 Clicks on your scope. 6.3 Mils = 63 clicks on your scope. See how nicely that works? Of course your scope is nicely labeled so you don't need to do any counting--if you need 6.3 mils simply dial the turret to 6.3. Easy as pie. Here's the dropchart I used last season:

Drop2007.jpg

As you can see, it's really simple and neat, only two digits for each value out to 1300 yds. I like that better than 19.25 MOA, 21.75 MOA etc, numbers. And these numbers match the reticle so you can use them interchangeably. If you need 1 mil of wind correction, you can dial 1 mil on the turret or hold one dot--and that will work for you on any power with FFP. The same for elevation--you can dial a number and when a correction is needed either dial or hold it.

This is the program I used to make that. It's a modified version of the one I posted in the sticky in the ballistics section. I modified it specifically for the 3-18 IOR but it'll work just fine for your scope, it just has a bunch of stuff you won't need. Of course there are many others, use whatever you like the best. And of course any ballistics program is just a first guess that will only be as accurate as your inputs, you need to verify the numbers and adjust as needed.

Last edited:
Jon, thanks for the helpful information,, It put me on the right track..Kindest Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.