Did the laser RF killed the MilDot ??

MT4XFore,
No... that's two men's opinons, yours and mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I grew up using the standard Duplex for most of my ranging, that and stepping off the areas I was planning to hunt while scouting.

In the past few years I have started to use a LRF, but seldom when hunting, mostly pre-season scouting and setting up stands or targets. Actually we have used it more for measuring areas, while putting in food plots, than anything else.

About the same time I got my first LRF I also got my first Ballistic dot scope. I have used it on several occaisions to shoot hogs, but these were very few. Just have to have it on the rifle your toting when they come out, and then they have to be at a range they the dots are needed. In the past several months however, we have been working on extending our reach on them and have used the dot scopes more and more. These ranges however are already predetermined though, but you still have to work the holds while going from one to the other, and accounting for the wind.

Do I personally think the LRF will take over as the rule, no. The thing is, most are generally mid to high priced and generally used for archery or LR hunting in open country. The vast majority of people hunting in this country , are probably not shooting over 200yds in the first place, and everyone knows that out past this, well 400 would be the max logical range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Simply adjusting your load or your scope's zero, can put you in the vitals of most game with the equipment most already have.

Now to the LR hunter or shooter, there might come a time when you will not leave home with out one. However, that is also dependant on your pocket book and just how much you are willing to, or can, put into your gear. In some, probably most, cases the Mil dot will be the first choice over the LRF due possibly to being part of the initial purchase of the rifle or being able to swap it off another rig. This will at least get you into the game with less initial outlay of cash.

On the same note once you develope a load for this particular rig, then develope drops out to whatever range your self imposed max will be, chances are you will be set for quite a while. Then you could start looking into possibly getting one to add to the accuracy of your shots and loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.