Define “compressed load”

Brownsfan

Checking to see if there is a standard definition of what a compressed load is. If I hear powder crunching while seating the bullet, is that automatically a compressed load? Thanks for helping the newbie!

I consider a compressed load when I can feel the bullet contacting the powder column, with or without powder crunching. If you can feel and or hear powder crunching that's a compressed load. Also, this might seem generic, but if I can't hear the powder move around at all when I hold the cartridge up to my ear and shake it, I consider that compressed.

I consider a compressed load when I can feel the bullet contacting the powder column, with or without powder crunching. If you can feel and or hear powder crunching that's a compressed load. Also, this might seem generic, but if I can't hear the powder move around at all when I hold the cartridge up to my ear and shake it, I consider that compressed.
What he said....AND....if I pull a bullet and have to tap the case side to get the powder out. That WAS a compressed load.

Nosler data lists fill amount.
Screenshot_20220111-153015_Chrome.jpg

A compressed load is dependant on two things, the amount powder used AND the length of the bullet.
Often, a mildly compressed load gives much better ES/SD numbers due to what's called consistent packing scheme.
A heavily compressed load poses no danger to the burn, however it can cause issues due to pushing the bullet back out of the case overnight. I have had this issue with the 300WN in a 3.4@ mag box before, so changed powders.
On the other hand, a heavily compressed ball powder almost always gives low ES/SD numbers due to the same packing scheme scenario.
Compressed loads shouldn't be avoided, but due diligence is needed to make sure no bullet movement is occurring.
I love compressed loads in several cartridges because of the fact that low ES results.
My 375 Weatherby with 760 compressed gives me an ES of 10fps, I use this on deer at ranges that boggle the mind with a 260g Accubond @ 3000fps.

Cheers.

Last edited:
When I was literally "stuffing" 96.5 grains of RL 19, under a 270 Barnes TSX in my .375 AI....it was quite compressed!

If you seated the bullet too fast.....you would "bulge" the case! I think that may have reached the pinnacle of a compressed load! 😁 Though, that doesn't answer your question!

I'm not certain if there is a hard definition! My personal definition would be, "once the bullet base contacts the powder...you have achieved compression"! "Degrees of Compression", will be another chapter in my book! 😁 memtb

compressed loads aren't going to be an issue unless you are seeing bullet creep after seating or actually damaging the brass from the under-capacity issue. I had some 375 h@h look something like 375 roy once shoving in barnes x in what was already a compressed load... I had to switch from 4350 to 4320 to get the charge down...