Compressed Load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by barnesuser28, May 20, 2012.

1. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

Why do most people dislike compressed loads? sorry for the amateur question

2. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

I dunno, long as it's accurate and no excessive pressures, who cares.

3. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

thats my thought too

4. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

I use compressed loads whenever I can, high charge density usually works better but some just don't like the idea of it.

5. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I stay away from compressed loads but try instead to achieve high density charging with good case fill.
    Depending on your neck tension and friction, a compressed load can change seating over time.

I use a 15" drop tube to charge more densely. If needed, I snap the charged cases with a finger to settle further.
    With this I can get more powder in without forcing it with seating.

6. DennisPA

DennisPA Well-Known Member

I'v used compressed loads for my 220 Swift never had a problem. I just never found them to be the most accurate for my gun. I plan to start loading for my 22 Hornet from what I'v read most of the good loads are compressed. Some by as much as 110%. I'll try them.

7. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

My observation is that I get lowest velocity standard deviation with loads between 95 and 98 % case fills. Within that range I use ladder tests at the rifle's maximum useful range for smallest groups. I don't tune for short range groups. I also keep my loads under 90% of SAAMI max pressure with modern cartridges and firearms, though that's for longevity of the firearms rather than short term accuracy or energy. I just don't use cartridge/bullet/powder combinations where compressed loads are needed.