Defiance Deviant- Single or Repeater?

Longrang3r

I am building a new rifle this summer, a 338/378, on a Defiance Deviant action. I will be using a McMillan BDL stock, Lilja 26" fluted barrel, and a Leupold VX6 scope. Hoping the rifle comes in right around 9 pounds, plus or minus. I already have a 300 win mag, and a 6.5-06, which are both a blast to shoot at longer ranges, but I am wanting something to reach out just a little further while hunting.

What is the general opinion on single shot vs repeater? Obviously a single shot is stiffer, but is the lack of the ability for a quick follow up shot worth worrying about? I don't think I can get loaded shells in the magazine anyway, if I have them loaded out long, so how often would I even use the magazine?

I don't want this post to be a debate on what cartridge I should or should not do. I have made up my mind on what I am building, and because I recently picked up a ton of 338/378 unfired brass, for a very good deal, that's what I am going to go with.

if you can build it as a repeater, i would go that route. some of us ended up with single shots for accuracy purposes, but thats after the rifle was already built. id go for a repeater

I am building a new rifle this summer, a 338/378, on a Defiance Deviant action. I will be using a McMillan BDL stock, Lilja 26" fluted barrel, and a Leupold VX6 scope. Hoping the rifle comes in right around 9 pounds, plus or minus. I already have a 300 win mag, and a 6.5-06, which are both a blast to shoot at longer ranges, but I am wanting something to reach out just a little further while hunting.

What is the general opinion on single shot vs repeater? Obviously a single shot is stiffer, but is the lack of the ability for a quick follow up shot worth worrying about? I don't think I can get loaded shells in the magazine anyway, if I have them loaded out long, so how often would I even use the magazine?

I don't want this post to be a debate on what cartridge I should or should not do. I have made up my mind on what I am building, and because I recently picked up a ton of 338/378 unfired brass, for a very good deal, that's what I am going to go with.

Longrang3r,
It seems you are wanting to build a true long range hammer. If that is the case, a single shot receiver is a good way to go. Action is stronger, stocks are stronger and cheaper without bottom metal inletting and you do not need to buy bottom metal.

I have not seen the need for a repeater for true long range hunting. One or two shots should be all you ever need. If you need more than that...you might be shooting past your capabilities at that yardage.

Ray

Longrang3r,
It seems you are wanting to build a true long range hammer. If that is the case, a single shot receiver is a good way to go. Action is stronger, stocks are stronger and cheaper without bottom metal inletting and you do not need to buy bottom metal.

I have not seen the need for a repeater for true long range hunting. One or two shots should be all you ever need. If you need more than that...you might be shooting past your capabilities at that yardage.

Ray

I am with you on that. Have been very few times in my hunting career that I have needed a second shot.

that said I am presently building a single shot just for long range hunting. building it on a savage target action. Just having a hard time picking a caliber. 6.5 saum is what I want but it is really hard to convince myself to leave the .30 cal's behind. that would be a 300 WSM.

You might have a hard time making that long cartridge a repeater?I like to have a back up,but I pack in tough country. I also would have no problem with a extreme range rig,and would be something in cheytac type case, rig or horse type rifle.

I am with you on that. Have been very few times in my hunting career that I have needed a second shot.

that said I am presently building a single shot just for long range hunting. building it on a savage target action. Just having a hard time picking a caliber. 6.5 saum is what I want but it is really hard to convince myself to leave the .30 cal's behind. that would be a 300 WSM.

That's kind of along the lines I was thinking. I've rarely needed that second shot, and if I do, I have a pouch of shells I usually carry on my belt or in a pocket I can reach quickly.

I am trying to make this so I can still pack it around, somewhere between 9-11 pounds.

That's kind of along the lines I was thinking. I've rarely needed that second shot, and if I do, I have a pouch of shells I usually carry on my belt or in a pocket I can reach quickly.

I am trying to make this so I can still pack it around, somewhere between 9-11 pounds.

I am building a 6.5 Sherman Short Mag with a 30" Nitrided Krieger barrel. Hope to push 140ish bullets 3,300fps. This rifle will be a single action with a Manners MCS-T5A stock.

It will make a nice little 1,000 yard rifle and should come in around 14lbs.

Ray

I am building a 6.5 Sherman Short Mag with a 30" Nitrided Krieger barrel. Hope to push 140ish bullets 3,300fps. This rifle will be a single action with a Manners MCS-T5A stock.

It will make a nice little 1,000 yard rifle and should come in around 14lbs.

Ray

I'm not really wanting to go that heavy. I still want to be able to pack it around.

Well, for the most part, after the first shot, their either running for the next county or standing there looking at you. Under those circumstances, a single shot doesn't put you at much of a disadvantage. Practice a little bit and you won't need to look to reload.

Personally though... I like a repeater cause I don't know how I'm going to react.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.