Repeater vs single shot .338LM

gcamp54

I'm going to build a .338LM for long range hunting. Trying to decide on a repeater or single shot. Need some pro's and con's. The repeater seems to have some limitations on mags. I'm not real interested in a DBM. From what I read on the Stiller site the repeaters only use a single stack mag. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Gordon

My 338 LM is a repeater. But I never load the mag (floor plate type). I simply chamber one and have two more beside me on the ground. In the event I would need a follow up I can have one loaded in plenty of time for a long range shot. So, I really see no need for the added weight and hassel of the DBM's.

Jeff

I spend fair time in bear country and like idea of a few in the mag.Standard bottom metal, which I like for cleaning, get a lot of pine needles and such brush busting to top.

Thanks for the replies. That helps. I read somewhere that most are using the single shot but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Makes sense to me to have the option of loading more than one round if needed. I have been thinking about changing course on the .338 cartridge and going to the Norma. I'm having a difficult time finding a bottom metal with an OAL suited to the LM and maybe the Norma might just be the ticket. My only concern is the ability to get the velocity out of the Norma similar to the LM. Any opinions on that?
Gordon

Velocity is similar. If you were to run max in each you might see 100ish fps difference. The Norma is more efficient and case capacity is not consumed by the bullet. For all practical purposes, the cartridges are ballistic twins.

Regarding single vs repeater, I'd say it depends on your use of the rifle. For a dedicated long range rig there's no disadvantage to a single shot. Personally, I prefer my rifles maintain versatility and short range capability.

Consider a recent scenario. A hunting buddy runs single shots. He made a great shot on a muley at 1025. But, he hit a bit far back. When we got to the deer it jumped up and was disappearing over a cliff. He rushed his follow up shot and missed. While he fumbled to reload his single shot, I dropped the deer. If he had a magazine I wouldn't have had to.

In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to a magazine. So, why not? My partner claims his single shot is more rigid, more accurate. If it is, I don't see it in the field or at the range.

Thanks for the replies. That helps. I read somewhere that most are using the single shot but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Makes sense to me to have the option of loading more than one round if needed. I have been thinking about changing course on the .338 cartridge and going to the Norma. I'm having a difficult time finding a bottom metal with an OAL suited to the LM and maybe the Norma might just be the ticket. My only concern is the ability to get the velocity out of the Norma similar to the LM. Any opinions on that?
Gordon

Seekins makes bottom metal that allows 3.900" in Lapua

I have thought about this dilema many times but on a long range precision rifle I think it is better to single shot. The rounds down in your mag get beat around and tips get battered and bent, not what I am looking for, for long range shooting.If you just put a shell holder on your stock it is easy to drop another round in and very quick.

I think the Seekings is at the top of the longer 338 mag set-ups. I'm running AI mags in a 338RUM & will tell you without difficulty... THEY ARE TOO SHORT... OAL is severely limited (you already know this):D I'm still able to get better than average velocity & good accuracy though, thanks in part to luck I guess. Had I known then what I know now:rolleyes: I would have either gone with a single shot in my McRees' chassis or went with another McMillian A5 & either Seekins DBM or the Wyatt's extended box internal mag.

At 16lbs, there is very little discernable difference between a loaded magazine or no mag :D

I suggest the Norma. All the perfomance and a better fit for a repeater.
I see similar statements occasionally about various cartridges. Would you explain the logic in this. When loaded to the same length, the Lapua will always have more capacity.

I see similar statements occasionally about various cartridges. Would you explain the logic in this. When loaded to the same length, the Lapua will always have more capacity.

I'll be happy to explain my thinking, such as it is :D. The difference in maximum velocity is around 100 fps for these cartridges. When I compare cartridges I look at where they go sub sonic. All else being equal, this clearly illustrates the difference in maximum effective range. We shoot the same 300 grain hybrid in either case. These rounds go subsonic at 2700 and 2825 in typical conditions where I hunt.

This means to me, both rounds are effective way beyond a mile, way past a point where a 125 yard difference matters in the slightest.

What makes the Norma really attractive to me is it achieves this in a standard length repeater with a 26" barrel. This means a nice 12-13lb field ready rig. For the Lapua, you want a tac338 or similar and a 30" barrel. That's a 16 + strictly long range rig and doesn't fit my style of hunting well. I hunt BIG, rugged country.

Another consideration is efficiency. I'm pulling numbers off the top of my head, but the Lapua takes approximately 10% more powder to achieve 1% more velocity. Personally, I'll take the more compact rig, better barrel life, and less recoil over the 100 fps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.