Defensive Edge - "Sheep Hunter" in 280 Ack Imp

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Here is my LH sheep hunter in 280 Ackley Imp. with a 400 yard target I shot a few days ago.
SHEEPHUNTERWEB1.JPG

It is:

Rem 700 SS LA
Hart # 4 fluted barrel 24"
Borden camo impregnated stock in Mossyoak Breakup
Alloy bolt shroud
Ti firing pin assy
Leupold DDT rings and bases
Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS NPR2 with Zero Stops
Tuned factory trigger set at 2.5 lbs

It has been a real joy to shoot and hunt with very light, (6.7 lbs without scope) quick handling ( the scope has the ability to be mounted very low and lets the rifle be mounted like a shotgun ) and decent shooting (see target). I have over the years been infected with long range shooting so anything I build still has to have some legs. Shooting my 10" steel disks at 600-800 yards is not a big challange. I have been shooting RL-22 under some 160 gr Accubonds with really good success. I hope to use it some this fall on a pack hunt or two.

I was hopeing you were going to tell us you had drawn a sheep tag and built a rifle for the task. You have the rifle, I hope you get a tag, I love sheep stories. That is a very nice rifle by the way. That may be the perfect sheep caliber, it is very close for sure. I have considered building one similar to it. Very nice !!

280 Ai

I have been a fan of Ackley for some time. He did come up with some great cartridge modifications. Great to read also (I have both volumes of his work). Wish you great success in your hunting.

bob chronister

I would go sheep hunting if given a good opportunity, but I really built it for going on a mountain goat hunt sometime. I would really like to do that.

Shawn,
I would come left one click to bring that group to center. ha ha!
Seriously though, that is one nice 400 yd group from one nice looking rifle. And you even put the bolt on the correct side!

Very nice Shawn.
I agree with you, the 160 gr AB and RL22 is the ticket for the 280 AI.
I have a M700 with a #5 Hart 24" fluted barrel.

JD338

280ai

My 280 AI also loves the R-22 and 160 accubonds. Getting just over 3000 fps out of a factory weatherby tube that was improved. Last Pm shot 3 into .6 off stix at 150 yards. Dean
PS. I drew a utah Dutton elk tag this year and like my 280AI but think I should probably take my 338 win mag. Anyone have any real world performance of 160 acc on elk? PM are fine if this is off subject for this thread. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.