Deciding on a 7mm. 7mm rem mag/ 7mm wsm

Creedmoor shooter

Hey guys, I feel I always go through this when I do a build. I always am stuck between a 2 or 3 rounds. My current rifle is a remington 700 long range 7mm rem mag. It shoots fairly well for a factory rifle. I'm shooting the 180 eld at 2958 fps. I still havent decided if I'm shooting that barrel out or not. Anyway, I'd like to get my cartridge choice nailed down before the I decide what I'm doing with the barrel. The contour will be .700 at 26in. It's going to be my main hunting rifle. Mostly whitetail and will be the gun I'll take out west when I make it out there. I regularly practice at 1300+ yards and am always looking for a place to shoot further. I'm definitely staying 7mm so please keep your 30 cal opinions to yourself. The 7mm rem mag and the 7mm wsm are currently the 2 I'm looking at. I do not want a wild cat at this point so please keep it simple. I guess I'd consider a 7mm saum but I think the wsm has an advantage in velocity which kinda bumps the saum out. From what I'm gathering it should easily match 7mm rem mag velocities. I know there are alot more brass options for the rem mag. I know Hornady and Bertram are making brass for the wsm. I'm not scared of hornady brass as I've never had issues with it. What do you guys think? Is there any reason not to go with the wsm? Would like some 7mm wsm owners to chime in and see what they are getting for velocities.

As you have found, the 7 Rem Mag is very easy to get to shoot well. Using your current action with short cases may present some expensive issues to solve with feed rails, mag box length, etc.

If you had a standard length 30/06 action, a 284 Winchester would give you practically the same velocity as a 280 AI, and Latitude with OAL's in the mag box would be a dandy. Accuracy with a 284 Win has a proven track record.

As you start taking shooting 1200 yards plus, I am not sure you are talking big game or Steel. You maybe prudent to consider a Large 7MM case and shoot the 195's.

You may want to contact Alex Wheeler on Accurateshooter.com and get his opinion as he is a Master Gunsmith, builds a lot of Long range hunting rifles. Feed rails on the 28 Nosler are slightly different than a std mag action. The Ultra mag action from remington is a great action to build the 28 Nosler off of. Your standard 7 Mag action will accommodate the 7 STW just fine which is all the equal of the 28 Nosler.

Both of these actions benefit from a Wyatt's magazine box after enlarging the mag well. Of course, using a long range rifle as a single shot gives the benefit of OAL's as the leade grows.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I do not hunt at 1300+ yards. That's strictly target practice. I limit myself to 600-700 on any critters if the chance arises. Kinda sounds the common consensus is the rem mag. Is the wsm more efficient than the rem mag?

Just to clarify, I do not hunt at 1300+ yards. That's strictly target practice. I limit myself to 600-700 on any critters if the chance arises. Kinda sounds the common consensus is the rem mag. Is the wsm more efficient than the rem mag?
Yes but not really? It will achieve the same velocity with less powder in many slow burning powders but it's making significantly more pressure to do so. Retumbo example below
68.0- rem mag
64.0 c wsm.
Both 2800'/s
Screenshot_20191217-105054_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191217-105043_Chrome.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.