7mm Rem mag rechambered to a 7mm ultra mag.

cwelkman

I have a sendero in 7mm rem and would like to rechamber it to the 7mm ultra mag. Is this possible or would it be easier for me to just trade it in on a new 7mm ultra sendero?

I hope this is in the right section of the forum. If not I am sorry.

My Winchester sporter in 7mm STW was just a rebore from and 7mm Remington Magnum (prior to them introducing a factory chambering). $65 was the total on that conversion. - same bolt, so it was ready to go...

$65 to take off a barrel, rechamber it, and reinstall it on the action? Shawn, Kirby, what would you boys charge for that, if that is all you would do to it?

[ QUOTE ]
My Winchester sporter in 7mm STW was just a rebore from and 7mm Remington Magnum (prior to them introducing a factory chambering). $65 was the total on that conversion. - same bolt, so it was ready to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinkin I can use the same bolt it may have to be milled a little.

You may have to tweek your mag box a little but if it were me I'd buy the Wyatt's box that'll offer a little more lenght anyway. But you can have that chamer recut to the 7RUM with no trouble and probably have alot better chamber in the end if your smith cuts it right.

Cwelkman,

I answered on another forum but I'll answer in detail here. To do your conversion correctly you will need to do the following :

Remove the barrel and index so the writing is down and you have a clean surface to engrave "7mm RUM" on.

You will have to punch the chamber itself out.

You will need to set the boltface recess back.

Change the box magazine to the window styled magnum box.

Change the follower to the ground mag follower.

Open the feed rails slightly

Remove the sharp bumps at the feed ramp

Engrave the barrel

and test fire it.

I would in addition if it were mine install a Wyatt's extended box mag instead of the rem window box and modify the feedrails for better feeding. This step is not necessary but makes the package much better with feeding and allows a longer OAL.
If you are interested in price drop me an email. Hope this info helps.

[ QUOTE ]
Cwelkman,

I answered on another forum but I'll answer in detail here. To do your conversion correctly you will need to do the following :

Remove the barrel and index so the writing is down and you have a clean surface to engrave "7mm RUM" on.

You will have to punch the chamber itself out.

You will need to set the boltface recess back.

Change the box magazine to the window styled magnum box.

Change the follower to the ground mag follower.

Open the feed rails slightly

Remove the sharp bumps at the feed ramp

Engrave the barrel

and test fire it.

I would in addition if it were mine install a Wyatt's extended box mag instead of the rem window box and modify the feedrails for better feeding. This step is not necessary but makes the package much better with feeding and allows a longer OAL.
If you are interested in price drop me an email. Hope this info helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Email sent.

Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.