7mm Rem Mag or 7mm Ultra Mag???

I have had a 7 RM for 20 years now. I'm on my second barrel now. Its a Hart with a 10 twist and it shoots the 180 JLK or Bergers just fine in the 2900 range with excellent groups. I could probably get more velocity out of it but it shoots too good to mess with. At the velocity the RUM will get, a 9.5 or 9.25 twist will work just fine. There are some benchrest shooters getting 2900+ with a .284 Win and 30" barrels.

When I rebarreled I almost went with the 7 RUM but I like to shoot too much and was worried about burning it out too quickly. The numbers look good for the RUM but the longest shoot I could have were I hunt is 700 yards and there really is not a huge advantage at that range. I would rather have the barrel life to practice more!!

The 7mm RUM is just such an impressive beast, I'm just gunna have to get one and run it in tandem with the .338 Edge and find out how impressive.

If you put 180 VLD @3300 fps next to a 300 SMK @ 2850 fps, the 180 will beat the 300 in drop, down range velocity, TOF, and windage, but the 300 crushes the 180 in energy and momentum. The 180 get to past 1150 yds with 1800 fps vel @ 1000' altitude, while the SMK gets to 975.

I get 3000 fps with a berger 180 with retumbo out of a sendero sf11 7rm. I hope I get more than 3100 with my rum.

If a 26" barrel limits the 7mm RUM to only 100 to 150 fps more than a 7mmRM then there is not a lot of advantage.

Maybe I would be better off getting a 7mm Rem Mag first, shoot a few Big Sambar with it, at up to say 500 yards and see how the 180 grain Bergers work on them. Then If I am happy with the performance of the Berger bullets at that range, I can then rebarrel later on to 7mm RUM with a longer barrel and extend my range knowing that bullet performance will not be an issue and I can also get the higher velocity available via a longer barrel.

What do you think of this logic?

If a 26" barrel limits the 7mm RUM to only 100 to 150 fps more than a 7mmRM then there is not a lot of advantage.

Maybe I would be better off getting a 7mm Rem Mag first, shoot a few Big Sambar with it, at up to say 500 yards and see how the 180 grain Bergers work on them. Then If I am happy with the performance of the Berger bullets at that range, I can then rebarrel later on to 7mm RUM with a longer barrel and extend my range knowing that bullet performance will not be an issue and I can also get the higher velocity available via a longer barrel.

What do you think of this logic?

Topshot,

3000 fps is upper end velocity for a 7RM shooting 180 VLDs and it's coming out of a 30" barrel. The RUM will get you at least 300 fps more (maybe close to 400) than the RM out of the same legnth barrel with a good powder. In a 160 bullet it will almost definitely get you 400 fps more out of a 26" tube - 3050 vs 3450 on average.

Cheers

What diferens is there in velocity/altitude - I shot at 0 to 2000 feet. I see most of you seem to be at 4000 +??

1. Bullet placement.

2. You will shoot better with less recoil.

3. A elk on 1000 yards make no different with a central lung shot.

4. Go for the 7mm rem.mag and put attention to the load/bullet.

The 7mm rem.mag is maybe a little bit boring, its the same feeling when you like to get that new Chevy when you drive the old model.. But remeber that this is the ammuntion and rifle idustry way to make money, get new products out on the market and keep the cash flow !

Even the bullet industry is keepeing new slogans on some new bullets, but its the same old core bound stuff like 15 years ago !

Also you will have problem to get a proper feeding with the short bulky mags regarding the 7 mm WSM, if you using a drop box mag.

Good luck, Michael

Kamchatka Moose 725 yards (7mm Rem.Mag)

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 126
But some people argue mercilessly about .30 vs .284....

I'm 7mm to the core, but I also own .30 caliber rifles....And larger, but for hunting (unless you're brush hunting on foot), I don't think you can beat the 7mm bullets.

The OP left off a viable option....The 7mmSTW, which is right inbetween the 7RM & 7RUM.

I love my 7RM's and 7STW.

1. Bullet placement.

2. You will shoot better with less recoil.

3. A elk on 1000 yards make no different with a central lung shot.

4. Go for the 7mm rem.mag and put attention to the load/bullet.

The 7mm rem.mag is maybe a little bit boring, its the same feeling when you like to get that new Chevy when you drive the old model.. But remeber that this is the ammuntion and rifle idustry way to make money, get new products out on the market and keep the cash flow !

Even the bullet industry is keepeing new slogans on some new bullets, but its the same old core bound stuff like 15 years ago !

Also you will have problem to get a proper feeding with the short bulky mags regarding the 7 mm WSM, if you using a drop box mag.

Good luck, Michael

Kamchatka Moose 725 yards (7mm Rem.Mag)

Awesome moose and great shot!!

Trophyhunter1

Ditto his comments
I feel you can do great things with the 7MMRM and this caliber has been around for years brass and other components readily available in many obscure areas. Keeping things simple is sometimes the best approach.

I have been able to achieve 3000-3050PFS no problem consistently with the STD 7MMRM and 180gr Bergers and groups very well. I still haven't tried to push the envelope. 26 1/2" barrel
SevenMMRM_%20custom.jpg

Thank you coyotezapper, yes its a great moose, I took around 75-80 good moos during the years but this one was the last one, and with out question the largest one, you know you should stop when you are on the top...:) I don't living in a moose country anymore...

When I say that normally someone shooting better with less muzzle blast, the 7mm Rem.Mag measure 20,3 (160 gr bullet at 2950 fps).

And the 7mm RUM with the same bullet (160 gr at 3200 fps) measure a recoil at 29,4

Both of the rifles weight is 8,5 ibs.

It's a bit strange that he 8mm Rem. Mag. shooting 200 gr bullet at 2900 fps will delivery a much more recoil of 32,9

This can be a important part for you gents that don't do not like muzzle brakes.

Anyhow, most of moose I bag with a 30-06 Mannlicher, shooting a 180 gr Nosler Partition, I took out my old "friend" a couple of days ago and its rely shooting well.

Simple "pron field position" 100 meter and 3 factory loaded Norma 180 gr Vulcan spreading 15 mm c/c (0,6 MOA) (photo)

Cheers, Michael

Attachments

• Novi pazar-20130706-00916.jpg
    Novi pazar-20130706-00916.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Novi pazar-20130706-00917.jpg
    Novi pazar-20130706-00917.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 119
Yes my CPg 7mm runs 3000+ fps all day long on Berger 180's and shoots well! 69.7 grains h-1000 fed 215 primer. Gun has 25.5 broughton barrel.

Both are fine cartridges, but I'd give the power edge to the the 7 MM RUM in 175 gr Sierra GameKings loaded with 96 gr's of H50BMG using Rem 9-1/2 primers. Shoot's 1/2 inch at 100 yards (MV 3025) and 5-1/inches at 600 yards. I'm sure someone out there can do a little better, but for now it will work for me. Also, without the Muz Brake I usually only last around 10 to 12 shots. With the Muz Brake I can take it well past a box of ammo, so it does make a difference (with hearing protection). Hope this helps your decision.

I have a 7rum and i don't have a brake on it although i've thought about it a few times . It's really a good rifle barrel life will be long as long as you clean it after you shoot it .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.