Dead mule recoil reducer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C.E.G2860, Mar 13, 2009.

1. C.E.G2860

C.E.G2860 Well-Known Member

DEAD MULE RECOIL REDUCER
    Does anyone know anything about these recoil reducers? I'm thinking about putting one in the butt stock of my #1 ruger instead of a muzzle break and having to put up with the noise of the break.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. C.E.G2860

Waiting! Does anybody know about these recoil reducers?

3. 7STDUBBERU

7STDUBBERU Well-Known Member

II have heard and read about them but never fired a weapon equiped with one. From what I have read the recoil reduction is only about 25% at best. That might not get the job done depending on your caliber/desired recoil....

gun)

4. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

I don't have any experience with the one you speak of, but I do with the C&H Reasearch recoil reducer.
    The C&H is a machined stainless tube encapsulating the mercury. A nice clean piece.
    I installed one in the butt of one of my custom rifles to give it a better balance. It was exactly 1lb, and that was what I needed. As for recoil reduction... I don't think it made much of a difference..
    I'm sure the performance will vary from application to application.

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If you don't like the noise they do work but as Joel said they don't work as well
    as a break.

They do add weight to the buttstock and improve overall balance.

They were designed primarily for dangerous game rifles and shotguns with high
    recoil velocities. ( felt recoil ).

Some even place 2 reducers in the buttstock for more effect.

The main advantage is that almost anyone can install one with out being a gunsmith.

Depending on what cartrige your shooting they may tame it down enough to live with
    and you can allways have a break installed later.

I don't like breaks for the same reason (noise ) but my limit is about 85 to 90 ft/lbs of
    recoil and beyond that I will tame it with what ever it takes.

J E CUSTOM

6. C.E.G2860

Well the cal. I using it on is a Lazzaroni 7.82 warbird (308cal.) on a #1 Ruger, and the recoil reducer will fit in the but stock bolt hole with alittle work. It's not that bad to shoot to hunt with, because your only going to take one shot, maybe two. But to target shoot with, it gets a little hard on your shoulder. I think if I could take a little of the kick away it wouldn't be to bad. I shot it about 20 times today. Not to bad with 165 gr bullet skipping along at 3640 fps. but the 180 gr. at 3500 fps. lets you know that you pulled the triger.

7. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

My Solution...

I use a slip on recoil pad for bench shooting. I can shoot a 300 WSM all day long. It feels less than a 270 Win with the slip on pad. No permament added weight.

I never fell recoil in the field.