custom luppy turrets

splattermatic

once any of my rifles get married to a load, i was thinking of filling out the order chart for luppy and sending back my scopes for a custom turret.
by the way i read it, the scope returns with a new turret, reading in yards.
anyone have this system ? and am i correct with my understanding of their advertisement ?

i think it would be a lot easier to dial in a yardage, than trying to count clicks...

I used to think the same way but it really is just as easy to dial MOAs. Then you are not stuck w/a turret that is only accurate in certain condions. You'll end up having to have a drop chart for varying conditions anyway so I would just save that money and learn to dial MOAs.

[ QUOTE ]
i think it would be a lot easier to dial in a yardage, than trying to count clicks...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is all the same. You have to know your gun and the bullet and the load and trajectory. You have to know when to add a couple of clicks and when to subtract a couple. You can read Kirbys account of the whitetail in Idaho and he decided to add a click or two. The part I left out of my write up on shooting the elk with a rifle and load very similar to Kirby's was that I had a light fog/ mist that turned to rain/snow and I added "one click for luck" before shooting. When I stopped in Blackfoot and had lunch with Roy I told him the details. There is what the BDC knob says, what the drop chart says or what the PDA says and then there is what I personally feel is called for.

My point is that I don't really care what is on the scope turret or inside the scope, in the end the shooter has to know his gun, undertand the strenghts and weaknesses of his method and there is a certain amount of gut feeling that goes into a shot.

If you are going to order a BDC makes sure you are very careful in building the drop table. Cold barrel, no wind, no mirage, same brass, same bullet same powder, same cleanliness of barrel. I would expect it would take three sessions at the range to build a drop chart good enough to make a BDC knob suitable for a cold barrel long range shot - at least that is what it took me when I did it.

I would recommend that if you go the BDC route that you also get a standard knob so if you decide to switch methods you can.

Bill and Buff gave great advice. Listen to it and be a smarter shooter.

BDC knobs don't work in all situations at all ranges. Period. I don't care who's trying to make money off the idea. Precision shooting deals with too many variables to employ a pre-set range dial that will work in every situation. It might be close in many circumstances, but close doesn't cut it if you claim to be a student of long range precision.

Besides, when dialing a knob around to a number, what is the diff between MOA and Yards. You are still dialing to a number. It's just that the number represents a different thing. Learn MOA and then you will understand more of what is happening and also you will be able to transfer what you have learned to your other rifles.

Good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.