luppy b&c reticle

splattermatic

how close to actual point of hit, does this reticle come ?

i am thinking of having a 3.5-10 changed to one, and putting it on my yet to arrive 280 ai.

give me some feed back on what bullets,velo's, etc. pretty closely match this set up,please....

plan on using barnes 140 tipped tsx's, and the berger 140 vld's i got to test.

thanks guys...

You should download the pdf file from Leupold and watch the video on their BAS reticles. Fine tuning is achieved with actual shooting from you rig with your loads for medium ranges and what most dedicated deer rigs are capable of. The B&C would not be a good choice for a 1000yd. reticle in my opinion. I have a B&C and like it for my shooting and area.

cool, i have no intentions of using this one for serious long range work, just within reasonable limits. i have a 300 rum for longer pokes....
thanks.

I have the lupy BC ret on two rifles. My 300 wby mag and my 340 wby mag. It does not line up with fast projectiles on the 300 so I am working on a slower load with bigger bullets for that rifle. But with the 340 shooting 250 gr bullets at 2900 it is dead on. 200, 300, 400, 450, 500.

My son (19) took his first Bull Elk last year with the 340. High shoulder hit at 456 yds. Rolled the bull and he got back up and started a death walk. finishing shot was at 500 right in the boiler room.

We only use this type of reticle for out to 500 shots on our lighter weight carry rifles, and we document they are on first and write down the yardage.

I also have one of the Swaro TDS's on my 22-250. 2 weeks ago I was out west and put the 400 mark just over a P dogs head and wacked him at 434 yards.

So, I think with proper set up and testing they are very affective. But I still would rather adjust the turret on a good quality scope for any shot if time is permited.

Thats my 2 1/2 cents.

Jeff

The B&C reticle is good to about 500yrds as others have stated
but if you have a specific rifle and load you want to use and your
going to send the scope to Leupold you might consider there
blistic plex (They locate the milldots for your cartrige).

You send them your load with all the info,bullet weight and BC,velocity
and drop out to 500yrds and they will burn the retical to match your
load .

100yrd dot, 200yrd crosshares(Zero) 300yrd milldot, 400yrd milldot and
a 500yrd milldot.

You can call them and ask more questions about this system.

I have installed them on custom rifles with very good results.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

well, since i am a few weeks out still on getting it.
i have no idea what bullet i am going to use or how fast it'll leave a 3 groove 26" barrel.
the scope is there right now, getting laser engraved and as of right now the b&c reticle. i can always swap it out on another rifle, or send it back again.....

this is my first custom from the ground up rifle, so i am trying to bling it a little.

jerry at benchmark told me just a bit ago, it's getting fluted in just a bit, then finished up, lapping, threading, chambereing , etc...

then sent back to me, then off to joel russo, who is just about done with a gorgeous piece of walnut, await the barreled action to pillar and metal bed.

back to me, then the stocks off to ohio to a friend to finish.

many miles on a yet to be shot rifle.

I've used the B&C a fair amount on a 325wsm with good success. you HAVE to put it on paper to verify. i am putting a 280ai together for my stepson and this is what i came up with for a comparison to leupold's moa drop and my load info
150gr scirrocco .515bc 2950fps 200yrd zero 4000' elevation

200yrd 0 B&C 0
300 -6.5" -6.6"
400 -18.8" -19.6"
450 -27.3" -28.1"
500 -37.5" -37.5"

everything beyond 500 gets dialed in but i have had good luck on antelope at 373, 485, 350 and 450 with the b&c. good luck

None of my reticles match intuitive hundred yd. zeros. Not a problem really. Just calculate, test, and troubleshoot zeros if necessary. Then recalculate the drop in 50 yd. intervals, and put the dope in a Butler Creek scope cap cover. Here's an example of an entry using my system--

450-2.7-0.8

...obviously range, vertical (2nd stadia down and 7 tenths to the 3rd), and 10 mph wind (8 tenths of the 2nd stadia down). I may not even know what a particular stadia's zero actually is in the field, since the system is based solely on 50 yd. intervals. This is the most efficient nonintuitive system i could possibly think of. Quickly referenced without having to get out of position with a quick glance up to the dope.

If u wanna go further, just add an elevation turret and add clicks using the lower post tip as a refernce, once it's zero is known as precisely as possible. Use the lower bow tie stadia for windage at 3.0 MOA.

Last edited:
I cant remember exactly, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Leupold will not add the B&C and Varmint reticle to a scope. You have to buy them like that. Like I said this is not a definite, just something I think I remember reading.
JC

i have my new 280 ai runnin 140 ttsx's around 3050 fps.
i have the scope mounted and looks great, they did put the b&c reticle in btw.
will now paper test the reticle, and see just how well it lines up.

thanks all

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.