Custom Build on the Howa Action

The Howa 1500 is a great action! I now have 6 actions from them, 3 stock with barrel 3 other with Lilja barrels. Let me say out of the box i hit 5 shots within 1 inch on all but the 223. The action are very smooth and well built. Look at the Nosler 48 built on the howa action.

I agree with James Jones...a Howa by any name is a very good action....I just don't own any at present.....I just rebarreled one a few weeks ago with a Rem 700 take-off barrel...made a 700 7-08 barrel into a 280 Ackley on a Mossberg 1500.....machine off the counter bore, rethread to 26mm x 1.5mm pitch at the proper length and cut the chamber......if you want to take another 3/8 off you can make a standard 280 chamber..

The long action Howa is closer to a Sako L61R than anything else....try dropping a long action Howa into a Sako L61R or AIII stock and you'll be shocked.....the bottom metal fits pretty well too...they copied the way the firing pin assembly is retained in the bolt from Sako also.....

A Howa action with a Timney is a better rig in a lot of ways than a 700.....and I own at least 10 700's right now, I'd have to count them....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.