Howa 1500 Build

BLOODHOUND BRO

First off, this is my first post. Want to say this a great forum I have been using as a resource for many years.

I am planning on doing a build (my first build) on a Howa 1500 chambered in 270 Win that I currently own. I have a smith that will do the work. The only mod I have done so far is add a Timney trigger. I have owned this rifle for 10 years and have fired many rounds through it working up loads, hunting and target shooting out to 500 yds. It shoots +/- MOA at 100 yds.

My goal is build a fairly light (8 lb range) rifle suitable for shooting to 800 yds. My first considerations are to replace the stock and barrel. This is where I am looking for recommendations. I am considering Mcmillan and Manners for the stock. Any recommendations on model or procedures I should add to the stock (bedding, etc.)? I am clueless as to a barrel choice other than I know a couple of guys who have had good luck with Douglas. Any recommendations on brand and or contour? Lastly, are there any other procedures i should be considering to get this rifle shooting as good as it can?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks again in advance.

Other than the trigger, what else have you done to it?
What stock are you currently using?
And did you plan on keeping it as a 270 Win?

No modifications other than the trigger. It currently has the black synthetic "hogue" stock.

I had planned on keeping it 270 Win. I am not really familiar with the process of rechambering rifles with the same action. I understand it would need to be a long action, but is the only requirement? Could I go to a 280 AI or 7 mm Rem Mag with just a barrel change?

I have 3 Vanguards in 270, so I'm moderately familiar with your rifle. :D

If it were me I'd do the same thing I have before -

Switch to a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock.
Bed the action.
Free float the barrel.
Be sure to adjust the Timney to 2 pounds.
Shoot sub-moa groups with factory ammo all day long.

Mine shoot about 3/4 inch groups at 100 with 2 different kinds of factory ammo, and carry that accuracy out to at least 400 yards. I have other rifles for beyond that distance but I have no doubt they'd do it. Both of my B&C stocks I purchased used which cut the cost and then I don't feel bad about taking them in the field.

My point is that there may be more accuracy left in what you already have without spending $$$ on a barrel and other upgrades. However, if you want to swap then by all means do so. If it were me I'd go to a 280AI for better bullet selection and more power, 26 inch barrel, and a McMillan stock. Of course you'll bed it as it's not worth spending all that money and not bedding it to get it right. If I had to choose a barrel today I'd automatically say Lilja in #4 contour, but there are plenty of quality barrel companies you could use. Pac-Nor makes a prefit barrel, McGowen will install one for you; Shilen, Hart and Krieger also come to mind.

Good luck on your project.

I had some of the same questions when i decided to build on a vanguard action, which is basically same as howa. I had action trued a broughton #5 with a csr break installed. Then a timney trigger installed at 2pounds and bedded it in a mcmillian game scout! And have not regretted it one bit, rifle is super accurate and taken alot of animals the last few year. But it has given me a bug and now im gathering parts for my next one

You can do anything you want as long as you remember that different cartridges may have different bolt face sizes.

No modifications other than the trigger. It currently has the black synthetic "hogue" stock.

I had planned on keeping it 270 Win. I am not really familiar with the process of rechambering rifles with the same action. I understand it would need to be a long action, but is the only requirement? Could I go to a 280 AI or 7 mm Rem Mag with just a barrel change?

You can go to a 280 AI with just a barrel change.......as well as any other cartridge with the same boltface (which is too long a list). If you don't handload a 280 AI might not be as good a choice as a simple 280.

Bell and Carlson makes an excellent stock for the price. Bed the recoil lug and float the barrel. With the good trigger should be a shooter.

Thanks for the info, this has been extremely helpful.

One last question, I am considering replacing the stock now (bedding barrel and recoil lug), then finishing off my barrel (i think i can get another year or two out of it) and then switching it out and going to 280 AI or something of the like. Will I need a new stock or is it possible to remove the old bedding and replace to fit the new barrel contour?

Thanks agian.

Will I need a new stock or is it possible to remove the old bedding and replace to fit the new barrel contour?

Thanks agian.

You can swap barrels and keep the same stock.
I do not bed my barrels at all, so swapping contours would not affect how it works at my house. :D However, if you prefer to bed the first few inches of barrel you would have to grind this out and rebed it for a larger barrel.

Bedding the action alone won't affect the barrel swap, though you may have to enlarge the barrel channel for a larger barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.