howa 1500 parts

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jthod, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jthod

jthod Active Member

Anyone know of a good source for parts?

I'm looknig for the screw/pin that the bolt release lever pivots on. It's a flat blade screw head with a step that the lever rides on.

The pin sheared off right at the reciever where the threads begin. My other option is to re-thread and use a different type of screw. This may be the better option, the existing screw is only about a 2mm shank.

Thanks!

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Go to www.weatherby.com click on support, then service centers. You may be able to get what you need from one of those places. The Vanguard is by Howa, marketed by Weatherby.

3. jthod

jthod Active Member

The howa site had contact info for Sports world in tulsa, but the have not replied to my messages.

4. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Would be more expensive but a good Smith could make one easily if you can't find the part.

5. jthod

jthod Active Member

Finally got a good answer from sports world, after three emails, and no responses. I had called twice, but both times they instructed me to email them. I finally got tired of waiting and got a little more assertive over the phone, and got the part ordered.

$15 shipped from Sports World Tulsa.

6. kremsing

kremsing New Member

the EXACT same thing happened to me today. Howa 1500/axiom .308 .
    shot, went to chamber and the bolt came right out and the bolt release button was limp.
    Opened my mag flap and this little standard screw head with a few mills of length fell out.

I put in a request with same place you got yours how did that go and who did you ultimately talk to that finally got the part headed your way?

7. jthod

jthod Active Member

I don't recall who I talked to, but I just requested to start someone in parts orders. Since fixing, I havn't had any problems.

I just don't see why they would use that small of a screw in the first place.

8. kremsing

kremsing New Member

Well ,i have to hand it to sports world tulsa. I put in what I needed in their parts request form, got reply for my ph# next day and the next day (today) got a call for my payment info and ship today.
    Sweetgun)

and yeah that screw is WEAK, i most certainly was not apeing my bolt , just its time I guess.

Thanks for having this up here, saved me a little leg work.:D

9. midmo

midmo Well-Known Member

Is the replacent part any better than the original? I have a new howa that i am considering getting the part before it happens that way my rifle isnt down as long

10. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member