custom action

klemm

I am starting a new build. It will be a .338 lapua magnum. I am planing on using a surgeon action, any comments. Is there any thing out therr that I should consider. I am only going to do this once, and I want to do it right.

That would be a great action to build off of.Hope you already have that action in hand because they are elusive right now.

I've run my 6.5x47 in my Surgeon 591 SA for nearly 4 years now. I love it. I've handled other actions and this action is silky smooth with zero hesitation or hang ups. I helped a good friend built a recent -47 on a Stiller. Very accurate but has a nagging hesitation when the bolt is very near the end of the rearward stroke. Picatinny rail and recoil lug integral to the action; what's not to like?

Alan

Don't skimp on the barrel, put in a quality trigger (I like Timney), and marry it up to a McMillan stock and you'll be good to go. Surgeon makes very nice stuff, I've been wanting one of the XL actions since they started making them.

Geb

I absolutely love my Surgeon 591 on my 7 SAUM. The XL is a perfect action for a big cartridge like the 338 Lapua. You might want to check out the Raptor by Kirby Allen at apsrifles.com. The XL and the Raptor are my top 2 choices. Good luck with your build and keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.