Affordable custom action?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by emmagator, Sep 27, 2013.

1. emmagator

emmagator Well-Known Member

I want to build a 7wsm or 7mm hunting rifle. I figure even the cheaper custom actions would be better than a factory action. What are some of the more affordable custom actions, with a dbm? Thanks

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'm fond of the Stillers.

3. emmagator

I guess if those are considered affordable, i better figure something else out. Maybe a trued factory action, rem 700, etc..

4. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Stiller. I have 4.

5. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

By the time you purchase and true a 700 action you are in the ballpark of a new Stiller.

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

It looks expensive till you break it out! By the time you buy and rebuild a Rem your right near or over the cost of a Stiller, if you own the action already and don't consider it into the value then you can come in under but not by as much as a guy thinks. We sink a lot of money a hundred at a time into fixing an action but in the end it's not cheap.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Don't forget the stiller comes with a pinned recoil lug, a pinned canted rail base, the M-16 extractor all ready done, side bolt release, fluted bolt, and ready for a Tac. bolt knob or use the one that comes with it. Not to mention trued up and ready to go.

Like others have already said, you can't get a 700 rem there for the same $.

Jeff

8. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

Also remember that if or when you go to sell the the action whether incorporated in a rifle or not, the used, tricked out and trued 700 is NOT going to sell for as much as a custom after market action will. Which is a long way of saying your not going to get your money back you spent on the 700.

Dave

9. WapitiBob

WapitiBob Well-Known Member

NWactionworks dot com

10. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

along with what the others have said about saving and getting a custom action.....

....i was in your position, i freaked when I saw the price of actions......then three weeks later I ordered a BAT......sometimes you just have to just have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on a custom

11. emmagator

Have you used one of their actions. Thats more in my price range. Will i really notice the difference between this factory trued r700 compared to a custom action, as far as a hunting rifle is concerned?

12. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

The 2 on the top of my list are Snowy Mountain Rifles and the Defiance Mutant.

Snowy Mountain will put together a whole custom package for a very reasonable price.

The Mutant has an integral recoil lug, fluted one piece bolt and M16 style extractor.

13. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

If you want a trued Rem 700 action, what kind of barrel are you putting in? Factory barrel?

I suggest that you look for used custom rifle and it is ready to shoot under .5 MOA.

Might be cheaper to buy a whole rifle instead of ordering each parts.
    Just a thought.

14. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

I would second snowy mtn rifles best value out there in my book. They can build you a full on custom rifle for about what you would pay for a tricked out sendero.

We are talking match grade components , custom action, jewell triggers, bench mark barrels etc.... pretty dang hard to beat with a stick.