Custom Action Choice

Apparently, my wife, just an hour ago, gave me permission to build a "cheaper" gun for a MX Coues hunt I am planning for Jan 2021. "Just in case" she said....what a woman!

More than likely, it will be on a Kelbly Atlas Tac as well.

Apparently, my wife, just an hour ago, gave me permission to build a "cheaper" gun for a MX Coues hunt I am planning for Jan 2021. "Just in case" she said....what a woman!

Does your wife have a sister...or even a distant 3rd cousin

My wife sent this to me via messenger yesterday ...

What kind of gun did you buy.jpg

She's a keeper!

I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not. But I am trying to decide on a custom action. This rifle build will be either a 25 or 6.5 Creed. I want to build fairly light, most likely 24" Bartlein #3 fluted. My hold up is the action. I want something that is cut for a Wyatt's box as I do hand load long bullets. Also I would like something with a small firing pin because I will be using Lapua SRP brass. Does anyone have any action recommendations?
I have Mausingfield, Bighorn, and Defiance deviant hunter. ARC and Bighorn both make a less costly version. All are Control Round Feed and I would not have anything else. What is the COAL? The 6.5 CM is a short action cartridge. Most of the custom short actions will accept a 2.850/2.950 box. If you are starting from scratch build your dream cartridge first. That will set the course for the build. If you are right handed you can speed through a custom build. There are a lot of good parts on the shelf. Making the perfect Dummy Cartridge and picking the parts for the rifle will make you feel like a child on Christmas eve.

A lot depends on what you want.

I grew up on the m70's and nothing else quite feels the same. So if I'm working with a budget of a grand I'm trying to buy a 5 or 6 digit New Haven stainless rifle as a donor to have an action to work over. If you are looking for a rem700 clone there probably isn't a spec of dust difference between most.

If you like a feature or want something particular it might help narrow it down considerably.

I have several rifles all built on different actions, lone peak, Mesa Precision, kelbly, bighorn, tl tech. I do like the short bolt left of the Mesa ti. As well as the very light lift of the lone peak. However the Kelbly is arguably the tightest toleranced maintaining smooth bolt movement. My suggestion is to get a kelbly atlas and have the trigger timed and fit for zero cock on close. Mine has minimal maybe 5-7% cock on close and I know a smith can time it out. My 25 creed is built on a bighorn origin, I really like the rifle however wish I had sprung another 2-300$ in the end for a lil better action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.