Custom Action choice

Defensive edge has someone else machine those actions. There are not many small shops that can actually machine actions from scratch totally in house.

Feenix, what is the coating on that action? Looks awesome.

Thanks!

Their old website used to say that the bolt and bolt head (not sure of the action but looks and feels exactly the same to me) has a NP3 (Electroless Nickel / PTFE composite surface treatment for metals, which is dry lubricated, low friction and is extremely hard and resistant to wear) finish but not quite sure how exactly it was worded.

Perhaps someone that might know better than I do will chime in. I also posted the question in their FB page.

Last edited:
Too bad they took that action out of the machine before it was finished. If they would finish them I would buy a controlled feed version.

What's not finished about it. I'm thinking they can do a lot more than what is shown on the website. The picture is just one example that fit the OP request. My requirements are SS, left hand, single shot, long action, and possibly integral scope rail. The build will be a 300 ultra

A single shot with controlled feed?

What's not finished about it.
The receiver isn't finished. They leave wide flats on it to save machining time.

I'm thinking they can do a lot more than what is shown on the website. The picture is just one example that fit the OP request. My requirements are SS, left hand, single shot, long action, and possibly integral scope rail. The build will be a 300 ultra
Sure they could do more, but they won't. I've asked them to do a couple of things they wouldn't do.

A single shot with controlled feed?

That was a comment about what I would buy, I'm not wanting it for a single shot,

I had already told the OP what I thought his best choice was for his desires.

BHA said it's just head blasted and recommend cerakoting.

Must be the lighting in the picture but it already looks coated. Want to hear about that rifle once you get it all put together! My next rifle is going to have Tungsten cerakote.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear you say this, I thought you and some of the other experienced ELR guys were using other actions. And I do agree with you... both of my custom rifles were built by Jim Borden on his Timberline action. His work is flawless. The process control he puts into machining his actions is what sets them apart.

I've really gotten spoiled on the feel of a timed action, Jim's need no work with some of the recent small changes their function is awesome, I would have been pushing the hell out of them but so many guys have it in their head the M16 is safer than the Sako which it isn't BUT if you can sell them it doesn't matter how good they are. A number of us talked to Jim about this and now the M16 is an option. Once the Lapua size action is an option then I'll be covered. The bolts are straight and hard so the Borden runs like butter without tricks just good machine work, there just built right and the price is a bargain IMO when compared to a $1600+ Bat that will need worked over right out of the box to make it function like the Borden does out of the box.
I use a lot of Stillers because of the Tac 338 but their still 50% PTG and that half needs gone through, the lugs never make full contact, the firing pins are bent sometimes because the insides are machined so crooked, timing is of but their serviceable and easily obtained but I hope to see a shift from them.
I'm actually kind of digging the Lone Peak actions I'm seeing come in for a good price point Rem clone, big points for not using PTG parts, timing is decent, awesome guys to talk to and I'm expecting some good stuff from them!!!
I was really impressed with GAP's Tempest action, three lug with a full size bolt body and roller cocking piece makes it the smoothest three lug I've had in my hands, it's really close to the BAT three lug only using a really firing pin spring. Cool replaceable integral lug insert allows a different heat treat for the lugs which is what there should be and their replaceable so when goomba galls the hell out of them you can just fix it.

Lots of stuff out there for any flavor a guy wants, as long as it does not jack up a good barrel then it's all good I guess :D

Bigngreen, did you talk to Jim specifically about a Lapua sized action?

If he offers it, I would probably just have to have a 338 Lapua Improved built. :D

Read that years ago, great information for why not to build a Lapua on a standard sized action. Jim built my sub 8 pound 338 RUM on his Timberine action. But a bigger action properly sized to handle the larger Lapua case, chambered in 338 Lapua improved with a longer heavier barrel would blow my RUM out of the water based on ballistics... It would just be a fun rifle!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.