Custom Barrelled Action vs Full Custom Build

Shooter Fred

All,

I am trying to save some money and was considering buying a custom Barrelled action and placing it in the stock myself.

First, wondering if accuracy will be the same as a full custom build assuming I buy a good quality stock.

Second, is there anything I need to know should I decide to do this?

I purchased a great custom rifle from Kevin Cram a few years back and just was looking to save a few bucks in this build as I do t have the spare funds as I did then. Considering a 338 of some sort but open to ideas as I have a 300 Rum and 300 WSM already.

Would appreciate any help I could get.

-Fred

Here are some 100 groups out of my 260 AI, Factory Remington 700 action that was trued. With loads it likes, and careful loading, this is the norm. Not sure what kind of accuracy your wanting, but this is what I get. Shot from a Krieger 4 groove 30" medium palma tube and a bedded B&C medalist stock.

Attachments

• 20160301_150016.jpg
    20160301_150016.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 20160309_190839.jpg
    20160309_190839.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20160309_190900.jpg
    20160309_190900.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 153
Just reposting the question

All,

I am trying to save some money and was considering buying a custom Barrelled action and placing it in the stock myself.

First, wondering if accuracy will be the same as a full custom build assuming I buy a good quality stock.

I purchased a great custom rifle from Kevin Cram a few years back and just was looking to save a few bucks in this build as I do t have the spare funds as I did then. Considering a 338 of some sort but open to ideas as I have a 300 Rum and 300 WSM already.

-Fred

All,

-Fred

Great question for someone looking for quality on a budget. Looking forward to responses.

If you buy a good stock I would still consider bedding a custom barreled action yourself a full custom build...

This is exactly what I did with my 338 RUM barreled action that was built by Jim Borden on his Timberline action and a Hart barrel. I bought the McMillan stock (custom inlet for my action/barrel by McMillan) and did the bedding job myself. I have held groups in the .1 moa range out to about 600 yards, and sub 1/4 moa out to 1000 yards.

I also have a full custom 300 win mag that was built completely by Jim Borden, and this gun is shooting just as accurately as the 338 RUM.

Your post sounds familiar, because my first full custom was the 300 win mag, and when I built the 338 RUM, I wanted to save some money so I did the bedding job into the stock myself. And yes, it definitely does save some money.

Good luck with your build.

All,

-Fred

Using Kevin's stock work fees, "if" you do it right, this is what your potential savings are ...

Attachments

• Stock work.JPG
    Stock work.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 150
If you buy a good stock I would still consider bedding a custom barreled action yourself a full custom build...

This is exactly what I did with my 338 RUM barreled action that was built by Jim Borden on his Timberline action and a Hart barrel. I bought the McMillan stock (custom inlet for my action/barrel by McMillan) and did the bedding job myself. I have held groups in the .1 moa range out to about 600 yards, and sub 1/4 moa out to 1000 yards.

I also have a full custom 300 win mag that was built completely by Jim Borden, and this gun is shooting just as accurately as the 338 RUM.

Your post sounds familiar, because my first full custom was the 300 win mag, and when I built the 338 RUM, I wanted to save some money so I did the bedding job into the stock myself. And yes, it definitely does save some money.

Good luck with your build.

I really appreciate the insight! I am leaning this way, just need to figure out what cartridge I want to build. That's going to be the most challenging part.

Using Kevin's stock work fees, "if" you do it right, this is what your potential savings are ...
Many thanks! It's great to see Kevin so busy as its a testament to his work...but it's tough as he is in such high demand I have to plan ahead on these builds in order to get in line.

I think $250 for the bedding job on top of a Barrelled action is very reasonable.

I recently bedded my own rifle. My intent wasn't to save money, I did it because I thought it would be enjoyable. I probably spent more than $250 for miscellaneous tools and supplies to do the job. So depending on how you are equipped and weighing that vs a $250 bedding job may not save you much.

I recently bedded my own rifle. My intent wasn't to save money, I did it because I thought it would be enjoyable. I probably spent more than $250 for miscellaneous tools and supplies to do the job. So depending on how you are equipped and weighing that vs a $250 bedding job may not save you much.

What did you get for tools? I bed all my own actions, I use basic tools most people have, then my supply list is as follows:

Plumbers putty to fill voids

Johnsons paste wax for release

Brownells acraglass gel

blue painters tape to keep it from getting on things it shouldn't

Some long action studs

LOTS of Q-tips and some mineral spirits or something similar to wipe off the bedding compound

Electric tape to tape the action in the stock for bedding

I have also used jb weld with success to bed a few of my rifles, it just runs more so it's more of a pain to use, but in a pinch it sure does the job.

What did you get for tools? I bed all my own actions, I use basic tools most people have, .........

First, I have more basic hand tools than most people.

I bought a couple of counterbore reamers and pilots and a couple of chucking reamers. I got the cheap stuff from eBay. But the four of them still cost about $75. I also bought 3-4 new Dremel bits. Now we are at about $100.

Then I bought modeling clay, a can of aerosol release agent, sandpaper, emery cloth, bedding epoxy, Q-tips, Acetone, popsicle sticks, pillars, masking tape, electrical tape, a roll of 20 mill tape, a couple of wooden dowels, miscellaneous bushings bolts nuts and washers, and probably some things I don't remember.

Looking at that list and remembering the cost, including shipping on some of it, I probably spent $400 on stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.