Custom Action choice

Frank7mm

Looking at building a new custom and need help choosing an action. My requirements are SS, left hand, single shot, long action, and possibly integral scope rail. The build will be a 300 ultra. Any experience's, builds, or stories welcome.

I would contact BAT Machine and ask if their HR action is available in the configuration you are wanting. I think it is.

Borden timberline's action, thee best on the market right now, timing and machine work is flawless and the only action that does not need work to be perfect right now.

Borden timberline's action, thee best on the market right now, timing and machine work is flawless and the only action that does not need work to be perfect right now.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear you say this, I thought you and some of the other experienced ELR guys were using other actions. And I do agree with you... both of my custom rifles were built by Jim Borden on his Timberline action. His work is flawless. The process control he puts into machining his actions is what sets them apart.

Before I decided on an action I did some serious research into all of the actions out there, and what made up my mind was talking to Jim. His experience in mechanical engineering, shooting and hunting is pretty unique. It's not by accident that his actions are so good.

With that said, there are a lot of actions out there that are excellent, so to the OP, if you like a particular flavor with options like an integrated rail, don't be afraid to go that route either.

Last edited:
I think part of the answer is how fast are you wanting to build the rifle?

You are going to have wait time probably on a LH action and then wait time at the gunsmith.

Lot of good custom actions out there, but not a lot of LH. If time is important, you are going to have to find one already at a dealer. BAT wait time last I knew was 8-12 months for example.

I use a lot of Stiller Tac-300, Tac-338, Tac 408 and Bat actions with very good results but if cost and time were not a factor they would all be custom ordered Defiance actions. I defy you to look away from this picture. I applaud your choice of single shot.

deviant-hunter_1-870x564.jpg

I use a lot of Stiller Tac-300, Tac-338, Tac 408 and Bat actions with very good results but if cost and time were not a factor they would all be custom ordered Defiance actions. I defy you to look away from this picture. I applaud your choice of single shot.

Too bad they took that action out of the machine before it was finished. If they would finish them I would buy a controlled feed version.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.