Custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird

I have , but am not a fan of reloading Roy Weatherby's brass and trying to duplicate his loads . If the Warbird is not a specific "WANT" I would probably stick with the 300 RUM or one of the newer 30 cal mags on the market. I love my Warbird , am twisting the 3rd barrel on it now and will not run it as hot as I did in my younger years and let this barrel get me through my remaining life . Bottom line is , do what pleases you and have fun while you can . My next build will probably be the 28 Nosler light weight 26-27 inch barrel , might even put a lighter scope than my preferred N.F. ATACR MOA . Well that's probably a lie , I am sure it will sport the N.F. ATACR scope ! ;-))) JMHO

Last edited:
Mr. Waveslayer , do you anneal your brass and full length resize? RCBS DIES? I had Wilson blank dies cut with my reamer , neck bushing , neck sizer only to run fireformed brass in my new barrels. In the past I have always run extreme but safe loads and have never annealed the Lazz brass . Have you annealed and how many firings before you loose the primer pockets?
I anneal after each firing. I'm now getting 6-8 firings before I stretch the primer pockets out and need to shrink them down. I'm running Retumbo and H1000 loads.

I did see the 30XC, I just have so much invested in the Warbird no point in changing. I use the full size RCBS but have it backed out a bit to keep the shoulder push to only .002"

I anneal after each firing. I'm now getting 6-8 firings before I stretch the primer pockets out and need to shrink them down. I'm running Retumbo and H1000 loads.

I did see the 30XC, I just have so much invested in the Warbird no point in changing. I use the full size RCBS but have it backed out a bit to keep the shoulder push to only .002"
i dont really understand why, but after reading another post on LRH i tried a primer pocket swager on my 28 nosler brass where pockets were a little loose, abracadabra. tight primer pockets! is thay what you were referring too? if npt, i would love to hear you solution besides the round file. thanks!

Has anybody ever built a custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird. I'm interested in this round and as a hypothetical I wanna know if someone has ever built one and how they did it, what receiver, barrel, and stock did you use? I'm aware that it isn't the best round but I'm not worried about that right now.
am building a 33 xc. i have a pierce ti action. it would also work well for your build. not cheap or fast, i waited a year for mine. i have always liked the warbird but shyed away because supposed short brass supply. if it available now i probably will look for a sako.

Is the patriot brass even available anymore? Don't see it on the website.

Also, has anyone tested hammer bullets in the warbird? I'd like to see the speeds of those in this cartridge.

Is the patriot brass even available anymore? Don't see it on the website.

Also, has anyone tested hammer bullets in the warbird? I'd like to see the speeds of those in this cartridge.
I haven't ever used Hammers. The Berger 215's are killer... the 212 ELDX did ok, one blew up. I've killed a dear with the TTSX and it was nasty as it was running away. Entered quartering away shot. Check the pic.
IMG_3200.JPG

I just finished loading the 124gr. Hammer Hunter@ 3412FPS in my 30-06 custom A-Bolt, 22" Krieger 1/10 for a couple of out west hunts, shoots almost 1 hole. I have all 3 of the Absolute Hunters 151,162 and 178 grain to start loading in the Patriot and the Warbird after deer season end here in February ! I will be running the 162 in the Patriot and the 178 in the Warbird . You can find loading info on both the LRH site and The Hammer site if you are a member. Mr. George L. Taylor compiles and maintains( updates) the data. I will choose my powders types for the Patriot and the Warbird based on the results of two SIMILAR LESS CAPACITY cartridges to begin my reloading. I am not in anyway recommending anyone do what I do! Mr. George , Mr. Steve @Hammer bullets and of course Mr. Butter Bean are 3 of the nicest most helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of conversing with. You can PM them and they can more than likely get you started in the correct direction The Patriot is a 24" + 1 1/2" chamber 1-10 Krieger so I can set the barrel back 1 time , the Warbird has the same barrel except it is 26" +1 1/2" for 1 set back. When I start to develop the loads I will post them to Mr. George and he will add them to the online data logs . I am only going to run both in the 3300-3400 FPS speeds. all rifles are 51/2 weights. If any of you guys start loading sooner please let Mr. George know your results.
Thanks in advance, F.K.

I just finished loading the 124gr. Hammer Hunter@ 3412FPS in my 30-06 custom A-Bolt, 22" Krieger 1/10 for a couple of out west hunts, shoots almost 1 hole. I have all 3 of the Absolute Hunters 151,162 and 178 grain to start loading in the Patriot and the Warbird after deer season end here in February ! I will be running the 162 in the Patriot and the 178 in the Warbird . You can find loading info on both the LRH site and The Hammer site if you are a member. Mr. George L. Taylor compiles and maintains( updates) the data. I will choose my powders types for the Patriot and the Warbird based on the results of two SIMILAR LESS CAPACITY cartridges to begin my reloading. I am not in anyway recommending anyone do what I do! Mr. George , Mr. Steve @Hammer bullets and of course Mr. Butter Bean are 3 of the nicest most helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of conversing with. You can PM them and they can more than likely get you started in the correct direction The Patriot is a 24" + 1 1/2" chamber 1-10 Krieger so I can set the barrel back 1 time , the Warbird has the same barrel except it is 26" +1 1/2" for 1 set back. When I start to develop the loads I will post them to Mr. George and he will add them to the online data logs . I am only going to run both in the 3300-3400 FPS speeds. all rifles are 51/2 weights. If any of you guys start loading sooner please let Mr. George know your results.
Thanks in advance, F.K.
what powder are you using?

I might try the Retumbo, RL26 andN565 for the 178AH in the Warbird . I had a set of Wilson Neck sizer bushing dies made for the 06,Patriot and Warbird . RCBS will probably make a neck bushing full length sizing die for you if you contact them.

What Suppressor did you go wit? I have not had good luck finding one that is rated for the pressure.
I bought a YHM Phantom QD Ti. I spoke with them before the purchase concerning the pressure as well. They said this can was full auto / magnum rated and would be fine. So far so good, no issues. Unfortunately i dont think they make this suppressor any more, but I sure others of similar construction will be just fine.

Resurrection time... I have built 4 Warbirds. Using Defiance actions, Manners Stocks, Bartlien and Proof Barrels. Usleton Arms built our first 2 rifles, he has them still. Dane at DMR Rilfes in Vegas has the reamer I bought him. He built my last two. Well worth the money. Both rifles are pushing 212-215 gr. Bullets at 3124 and 3120 fps. They blow up most game! Meat seeking missles. Brass is made by Hornady. Old brass was soft, the new stuff gets me 2 more firings.

View attachment 425957View attachment 425959View attachment 425964
WaveMaker,
That second rifle with the manners EH5 thumbhole stock is my dream rifle. What did yours end up weighing? Could you list your build parts? I am so tempted to try and build one.