7.82 warbird 210vld fps

haffyti839

Ibam the owner of this rifle and I myself even feel skeptical about the info I am bout to post on a custom warbird with 210 vld bullets.... Everyone has looked at lazz website seen proclaimed fps and blah blah and from what I've come across everyone has been disappointed bc they can't reach the advertised speed.... First off I haven't been able to use a chrony due to weather but like everyone should do after a chrony go field verify yardages and drop to correct the actual velocities of their rifle.. As said earlier chrony wasn't working due to clouds but mathematically it adds up to a 7.82 warbird 29" 210 vld @ 3550.. How being zeroed at 100yds with a 1.876" scope height and a 5.25" drop @ 300yds in three different programs comes out at @ 3550.. Anyone please correct if wrong or I have missed a step in calculations thanks

While your calculations in the ballistic software appear correct with your numbers, 3550fps is WAY faster than I would expect from a Warbird. With the 210 gr VLD, I would realistically expect velocities to be in the 3150-3200fps range. One question I would ask is, did you fire a group at 300 yds with the scope still zeroed at 100 yds and measure actual drop, or did you adjust to a 300 yd zero and count your clicks? If you counted clicks, it's possible your scope is not tracking perfectly .25" per click. Also, atmospheric and terrain conditions could lead to less come-up needed. Were you shooting on flat ground, and not over a major terrain feature that could impart lift on the bullet during flight?

Scope stayed zeroed at 100 measured actual drop.. By no means complaining just not what I expected was thinking more round the 3200 mark.. But guess I'll take it lol

Somehow I doubt it. Thats 100fps faster than what Mr. Kirby lists as max for his .300AX with 210s which is a .30-338 Lapua Improved and should have just as much if not more case capacity with the ability to run at higher pressures. Granted the Lazz could have some freebore in it allowing for more velocity but Idk, thats way up there. I wouldnt say its impossible though. I read of a guy claiming 3400 with 210s with a 30" .300 Weatherby. Maybe you just got a real fast barrel, as that certainly happens quite a bit. You would have to get down and dirty to figure it out completely but its not the mysterious magic that some people like to think it is. You can figure out why your barrel is faster than others, though like I said it requires a bit of work ie whats the land diameter, groove diameter, groove width, leade angle, etc. And no, pulling a lead slug through the barrel will not give a truly accurate measurement like some like to think. Getting measurements that are accurate to .00000 and beyond is serious business, more than a lead slug is capable of.

Mr Frank Green goes into a bit of detail on what all specifications you would want to get on your barrel to end up with one that has a very good chance of being faster than most here:

http://forum.snipershide.com/range-report-exterior-ballistics/141608-fastest-barrel.html

Last edited:
Laserflat

I was. Just as skeptical as u and this is my own rifle... I have had multiple people measure my target and do their own math and in programs such as g7 ballistic calculators and other all come out at 3550..

on thing in life that is pretty straight forward is mathematics…. I know nothing of this round nor do I have one…. But if it is 3550 based on your calculations and the math is sound….. GO get um!!!!

My god if that's correct...wow. I have seen the groups you've shot and at that velocity. .nothing is safe.

If the dope and drop data you've gathered match the calculated data using 3500 then I'd say go with it. Shoot to verify and have fun

Haffy ,,,,,,

I did not see where you stated how long your barrel was, but the big Lazz 7.82 (.308) Warbird with 210gr bullet, 28" 10 twist barrel, retumbo powder, fed 215 primer, at 66,000PSI you should be seeing about 3,200fps at 72 degrees F ,,,,

a 30/338 Lapua improved is not capable of approaching those velocities without significantly higher pressures ,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.