Custom 375 Rugar?

Accushot

When I saw the thread for voting on my next long range rifle I noticed there were no larger calibers than 338. I know those are most popular, but I have been planning out a new African/ Alaskan rifle and thinking of building a custom 375 Ruger. So far what I am thinking is a 26" Medium weight fluted Lilja Barrel, B&C Tactical Stock, Jewel Trigger built around a Mark V Action. I plan to shoot 260gr Accubonds...
Does anyone have a similar build, If so what velocities are you getting?

Any other input/ suggestions?

2900, maybe 3000 max. As an Africa - Alaska rifle, it's likely to see extreme temp variations. Might pick a temp insensitive powder and stay below top end loads. I'm curious about your stock choice. Africa / Alaska and the 375 hints at big, possibly dangerous game. I think I'd want a medium-heavy sporter with long range capabilities, and good handling characteristics for closer shooting. How do you envision using this rifle?

I noticed you're in Utah. I'm in Santaquin.

I think the 375 Ruger is a great choice for a custom. It exceeds the performance of the 375 H&H (not by much) but it fits on a standard long action. I have the Ruger African version. I installed a Timney trigger, teflon coated it and bedded into a McMillan stock. The gun absolutely shoots. It's not super high velocity, but you should be able to push close to 2900-2950 fps with a 260 in a 26" tube depending on your choice of powder. I load 260 ABs with 83.5 grains of H4350 for a temp stable, accurate load. I also shoot the 270 TSX with excellent success.

Thanks for the replies, grit I was thinking of the BC Medalist Tactical because it seems like it would be stiff with it's bedding block and I like having the raised comb grip and style. I am open to suggestions if you have a specific stock you would recommend. (I am too hard on stocks to go wood even though they are prettier) I envision using the rifle in Africa, and possibly Alaska, although neither is slated for this year. The largest rifle I have is a Sako 85 in 30.06. It works great on everything around here. I looked at building a 338, but then thought why build a 338 when I could just bump it up to 375 and have the ability to hunt anything. I know it isn't the long range gun that a 338/378 or Lapua is, but it will reach out to 600-700 yards which is plenty for me. I am only in the planning stages of this rifle and hoping this year's tax return can put it into motion. (I live in Payson... small world)
brentc thanks for the input I am hoping to use H4350 as that is what I load in my 06. A McMillan Stock would be awesome, but as far as I've seen they are very costly. I would love to see a pic of your rifle if you have one.

If your doing a Mark V action you could also do a .375-.338 Norma (about like a .375 RUM) or a .375-.338 Lapua.

brentc thanks for the input I am hoping to use H4350 as that is what I load in my 06. A McMillan Stock would be awesome, but as far as I've seen they are very costly. I would love to see a pic of your rifle if you have one.

Glad I could help. I use mine for Alaska exclusively and I put it together specifically for hunting in saltwater conditions on the coast. I've used it to kill probably a dozen bears, combined brown and black, and several moose. For what I use it for it's perfect.

Since it sounds like you're budget minded, another option is the a factory chambered Howa with a 24" barrel. They are good shooters and should get you out to 600 with a good load, without the wait and expense of a custom. You can get them with a Hogue stock, or you can get a barreled action and put your stock of choice on it. http://legacysports.com/products/howa_375ruger.html

Here's my Ruger African

IMG_0258.jpg

I'd choose something like brentc's mcmillan. My personal favorite is the manners mcs-t. Darrel Hollands stock is a close second. Lots of choices out there.. On a tight budget, the HS stocks are a great value.

The tactical medalist is very bulky and angular, suited to a dedicated long range rig, not an all purpose short to mid range rifle. Lots of stocks available that offer long range performance without totally sacrificing handling. I know it's tacticool and offers a lot of features for the price. If it's what you like, by all means use it. My intent is to be helpful, not argumentative.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.