Custom 375 Rugar?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Accushot, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Accushot

Accushot Member

When I saw the thread for voting on my next long range rifle I noticed there were no larger calibers than 338. I know those are most popular, but I have been planning out a new African/ Alaskan rifle and thinking of building a custom 375 Ruger. So far what I am thinking is a 26" Medium weight fluted Lilja Barrel, B&C Tactical Stock, Jewel Trigger built around a Mark V Action. I plan to shoot 260gr Accubonds...
    Does anyone have a similar build, If so what velocities are you getting?

Any other input/ suggestions?

2. grit

grit Well-Known Member

2900, maybe 3000 max. As an Africa - Alaska rifle, it's likely to see extreme temp variations. Might pick a temp insensitive powder and stay below top end loads. I'm curious about your stock choice. Africa / Alaska and the 375 hints at big, possibly dangerous game. I think I'd want a medium-heavy sporter with long range capabilities, and good handling characteristics for closer shooting. How do you envision using this rifle?

I noticed you're in Utah. I'm in Santaquin.

3. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

I think the 375 Ruger is a great choice for a custom. It exceeds the performance of the 375 H&H (not by much) but it fits on a standard long action. I have the Ruger African version. I installed a Timney trigger, teflon coated it and bedded into a McMillan stock. The gun absolutely shoots. It's not super high velocity, but you should be able to push close to 2900-2950 fps with a 260 in a 26" tube depending on your choice of powder. I load 260 ABs with 83.5 grains of H4350 for a temp stable, accurate load. I also shoot the 270 TSX with excellent success.

4. Accushot

Accushot Member

Thanks for the replies, grit I was thinking of the BC Medalist Tactical because it seems like it would be stiff with it's bedding block and I like having the raised comb grip and style. I am open to suggestions if you have a specific stock you would recommend. (I am too hard on stocks to go wood even though they are prettier) I envision using the rifle in Africa, and possibly Alaska, although neither is slated for this year. The largest rifle I have is a Sako 85 in 30.06. It works great on everything around here. I looked at building a 338, but then thought why build a 338 when I could just bump it up to 375 and have the ability to hunt anything. I know it isn't the long range gun that a 338/378 or Lapua is, but it will reach out to 600-700 yards which is plenty for me. I am only in the planning stages of this rifle and hoping this year's tax return can put it into motion. (I live in Payson... small world)
    brentc thanks for the input I am hoping to use H4350 as that is what I load in my 06. A McMillan Stock would be awesome, but as far as I've seen they are very costly. I would love to see a pic of your rifle if you have one.

5. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Well-Known Member

If your doing a Mark V action you could also do a .375-.338 Norma (about like a .375 RUM) or a .375-.338 Lapua.

6. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

Glad I could help. I use mine for Alaska exclusively and I put it together specifically for hunting in saltwater conditions on the coast. I've used it to kill probably a dozen bears, combined brown and black, and several moose. For what I use it for it's perfect.

Since it sounds like you're budget minded, another option is the a factory chambered Howa with a 24" barrel. They are good shooters and should get you out to 600 with a good load, without the wait and expense of a custom. You can get them with a Hogue stock, or you can get a barreled action and put your stock of choice on it. http://legacysports.com/products/howa_375ruger.html

Here's my Ruger African

[​IMG]

7. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I'd choose something like brentc's mcmillan. My personal favorite is the manners mcs-t. Darrel Hollands stock is a close second. Lots of choices out there.. On a tight budget, the HS stocks are a great value.

The tactical medalist is very bulky and angular, suited to a dedicated long range rig, not an all purpose short to mid range rifle. Lots of stocks available that offer long range performance without totally sacrificing handling. I know it's tacticool and offers a lot of features for the price. If it's what you like, by all means use it. My intent is to be helpful, not argumentative.

Regards