Custom 338RUM build...

tpbscha

Planning on building it asap. Rem 700 action, but I can't decide on which barrel contour. Debating between a 26" #5 or #6 (.700 or .750). This will be a carry around Elk/Moose/whatever else is legal rifle so I'm trying to keep the weight somewhat reasonable. Any input?

Thanks!

The 338 RUM has some push when you let'er buck, so more weight is always better to mitigate recoil. Also, with the .338 bore, a little extra barrel thickness never hurts. I would go for the #6, still very reasonable in terms of weight, but the 1/2lb or so extra barrel weight (over the #5) will pay dividends in stability when shooting. I would also recommend you consider a 28" barrel length, which may not be as manageable in the heavy timber, but I assume that is not what this rifle is intended for (read: LR shooting). IMO

Thanks for the input! I agree, the added weight of a #6 probably will be welcome. Most of the places I hunt are very open, not much thick timber. I'm still pondering the length...

After packing around a #5 contour 27.5 inch tube in my 338 rum for the past 3 years, I am rebarreling to a #4 contour and finishing at 26 inches. The extra weight for a hunting gun is a big factor. The main reason I am rebarreling is that I am not happy with the accuracy of my current barrel which is a douglas premium cm in 4160. New barrel is a Broughton stainless and should be here soon.

Decisions, decisions... I have a 270WSM with a 26" #5 with a heavy Lam stock. It is manageable, I may just go that way with the 338RUM. The LA will add a little more weight, but the larger bore will drop a little weight. Maybe do a fluted #6??? So many options... Thanks for the replys!

if your main concern is a carry type of hunting gun 26" is plenty. i'd get a 24 0r 25 inch barrel and put a brake on it. the 338 bore is much more efficient than the smaller calibers.the difference between a 28 and a 24 inch barrel won't be 100 FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.