custom build

tommyc279

I just started building my first custom rifle, a stevens model 200 in .223. I finally decided to order a barrel from ershawbarrels in .223 with a #3 varmint contour. I have spent all day looking for the stock I want to order but none of these over the counter stocks state they are for the stevens. I would like to go with the duramaxx bell and carlson and was wondering if this will work and if I will need to do any modifications. I am willing to go with any brand, but would like little to no modification required.

Hi,

There are stocks available.
Any stock that will fit a Savage short action ... EXCEPT......

You will have to know whether you have a "stagger feed" where the magazine box is attached to the action, or a "center feed" where the magazine box is attached to the stock. The two are not interchangeable due to the screw spacing for mounting the action to the stock. I can tell you that the newer models are center feed and that if the rifle's over about 1 year old, it will probably be a stagger feed. Most of the short action stocks you'll find aftermarket are for the stagger feed at this point, although there are some center feed models available... for more money. Most of them are from custom stock makers rather than places like Boyds or Choate.

I had Marshal from Matrix bullets let me know about anther stock making company. Their "Tac-driver"stocks on a ruger 10-22 looks awesome! The cool thing is they can do stock for left handed shooter, right handed action, in thumbhole. Which is what was on Matrix's website that caught my eye.

Link: Richards Microfit Gunstocks

I'm curious how hard would it be to make my rifle a 300 WM it seems the barrels are easier to find and the BC is a bit better then 30.06? I'm pretty new to these types of guns. It's a 700 sps remington

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.