Custom build

Jinx

Hello guys. I want to have a custum rifle built for large game hunting, so I am looking at calibers like a 416 Rigby, 375 etc. It will mainly be for bush hunting. I am new at this, so could someone give me pointers at what I should look at when starting up. I live in S.A so it would be difficult to use one of the gun smiths that is on the site. All info is appreciated.

Hello guys. I want to have a custum rifle built for large game hunting, so I am looking at calibers like a 416 Rigby, 375 etc. It will mainly be for bush hunting. I am new at this, so could someone give me pointers at what I should look at when starting up. I live in S.A so it would be difficult to use one of the gun smiths that is on the site. All info is appreciated.

Jinx

There are more big bore shooters on this site than you think!!!!

I am one and love the big bores.

I realize that reloading components may be hard to find down there, but if not there
are lots of options for you.

A few years I set out to biuld a big bore that was at least .40 cal because some countrys
still require .40cal or larger.

I wanted something that was easy to build on a remingtion action,with more power than
a 416 rigby or a 416 remingtion, with brass that was available and strong.

The build was a great success and if you do a search on this web site for 416 Buff there
are several threads and post with pictures.

It is based on the 375 RUM case and dies are available from Hornady and reamers can be
bought from Dave Manson Reamers.

Enough said about the 416 Buff . If reloading is out of the picture and factory ammo is a
requirement then I would recomend any 416 that you can purchase ammo for easy because
of the power they offer and also with 300 or 350gr bullets they are very flat shooting to
400 or 500yrds if needed.

In the 375 range my order would be the 378 weatherby,375 RUM and the 375 H&H.

If you have any more questions on any of this feel free to P M me or post questions for other
Big bore shooters to answer.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

Hi

I have a 375 H&H. Remington action.Custom bedded laminate stock .shillen barrel and its an absolute "peach" to shoot. Puts deer down beautifully but i've not used it on anything else. I hope to take it boar shooting and maybe africa someday.

I would have loved a 416 rigby but I would have found that harder to get "legal" for shooting deer in the uk. There are many people in the uk with large calibres that they can only I have yet to experiment with homeloading but it shoots factory federal very well indeed.Thats one of the attractions. If i ever forgot or couldnt travel with bullets i could buy some reasonably easily at my destination. If its an obscure round it wouldnt be so easy.

Go for it though and pick whatever will float your boat

Happy hunting

Fire at will

Thanks for the info. But what should I look at when having it built. eg stock lenghth with regards to my build, how it fits etc.

Give Allan Rovig a call at McWhorter Custom Rifles. 2297825799. He can help with any questions you may have.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.