Custom 338 Lapua Magnum

Sporter weight packing rifle:
Stiller Predator X receiver
20 moa aluminum rail base
#4 SS, 1-10 twist barrel(maker not overly important, one of the top makers)
Quality muzzle brake
Jewell trigger
McMillan BDL stock or Manner MCS-T stock
Wyatts center feed mag box
Rem 700 BDL floorplate

Medium weight long range rifle:
Stiller TAC338 or BAT HRPIC receiver
20 moa rail
Jewell trigger
#7 SS, 1-10 twist
Quality brake(recommended, not required)
Barrel fluting if wanted
Jewell trigger
McMillan A-5 or Manner MCS-T4 stock
Single shot would be my preference
Metal ADL trigger guard

Heavy Long Range Rifle:
Stiller TAC338 or BAT model M 1.55x8.5"
20 moa rail
Jewell trigger
#8 contour to 1.350" straight cylinder barrel, your choice
McMillan MBR Tooley BR stock
Single shot
Metal ADL trigger guard

Price wise, there is a huge range that these rifles would cost depending on what componants and features you wanted. More frosting, more money.......

THese would cover everything from a lightweight packing big game rifle to a sit and shoot medium weight rifle to a heavy bench rifle.

Thanks for the replies. Mainly I'm looking at the 338 Lapua Magnum for hunting. We have nilgai antelope in
South Texas an some species of elk in West Texas. I know they could be took down with lesser calibers. Other than that, I think it would be a awesome cartridge to own.......

It certainly is an impressive chambering and would allow you to hunt anything on the planet where a 338 was legal to use.

That said, it does have some special issues that you have to deal with. Namely, its big in diameter and should be built on a receiver designed for it specifically. The brass is also expensive, very good quality and extremely strong but it is spendy for sure.

If your more attached to the chambering more then anything go for it. If you like the performance level, there are other options that will get you the same level of performance and do so with less expensive brass and that would also open your options up as far as receivers.

The most direct competition to the 338 Lapua is the 338 Edge. If your going to handload, its no different working with this wildcat then loading for the Lapua, just run a 300 RUM case into a 338 Edge FL die and you have a 338 Edge case ready to load with full pressure, accurate loads. No fireforming needed at all.

Out of same length barrels with same bullet weights, the performance between the 338 Edge and 338 Lapua are so nearly identical it would be impossible to say ones more impressive then the other and both have proven extremely accurate.

I am certainly not trying to talk you out of the 338 Lapua, just that there are other options out there that will get you the same performance.

If your going to build a custom rig on a lapua, your nuts if you don't have it chambered for an improved version. If your going to shoot a shorter tube with 225-250gr bullets, just get a 338 rum. It will do everything the edge and lapua will.

I think the comment "your nuts" is kind of harsh....

The 338 RUM is certainly not the full equal to the 338 Lapua, no matter what barrel length you use. It will be 100 to 125 fps short of the Lapua and the Edge, again, no matter what barrel length you use.

Also, you say "your nuts" if you do not go with the Improved Lapua...... Suppose the owner does not handload???? Suppose they do not want to fireform brass????? The 338 Lapua has plenty of merit to stand on its own and its an extremely useful and potent chambering that does not "NEED" to be improved to be worth while.

If you want an improved version of the 338 Lapua, thats great, there are great ones out there. I love my 338 AX wildcat but there are certainly applications were the 338 Lapua would be a more practical choice. I think your comments are just a bit broad sweeping.

"Your nuts" was not meant to be taken so literally. Take a few deep breathes and it will be okay. I think you saying 100-125fps is a little on the optimistic side, but I'll go with that. So, what is a 100fps going to do for someone? Not much in my opinion. Thats why I say the 338 rum will do everything the edge and lapua will.

You say what if they don't handload? Valid point, but how many people do you know that have custom rigs built that shoot factory ammo. We could go on and on listing pros and cons about these calibers, but I think we already know what they are. I was just saying, if I were to spend the money for a custom build, I would up it a class over the rum,edge and lapua. Just an opinion. Hope I wasn't to broad sweeping.

I'm sure Fiftydriver gets approached by all types of customers inquiring about all variety of possibilities, and that has appropriately seasoned his comments. Point is, not everyone is you, or me. Attempting to provide the best match for a customer involves listening, as much or more as it does telling. At least that's how I expect it to work. I come to the table with some specific desires and pre-requisites that are more or less mandatory, and then allow the gunsmith to fill in the finer pieces necessary to complete a quality custom rifle.

Different strokes for different folks.

First off, I did not intend to offend, just point out that your comments could have been taken quite differently then you intended. I was not reved up in any way, just pointing out why your point of view may not fit for alot more shooters then you think.

I average around 85 rifles shipped a year to customers. Full custom rifles ranging from $3000 up to $8000 rifles. Of those fully 20% are for customers that do not handload and never plan to handload...... Those are just my own numbers and I fully explain the limitations they are imposing on themselves shooting factory ammo but the simple fact is, there is a sizable number of people out there that have no desire to handload for their rifles, weither it be a $500 Savage or a $5000 APS custom, some just do not handload and do not want to.

The 100 to 125 fps velocity average is not a number I made up, its what I have seen with actual rifles, dozens of them. THe longer the barrel and the heavier the bullet, the higher the velocity advantage will be for the larger capacity chamberings. Not an opinion, just the way it is.

I personally think the 338 RUM is a great round but if you load for the 338 RUM, you can get 100 fps more performance with same bullet weights with no more effort in any way using the Edge and with no extra cost at all except a pennies worth of extra powder maybe.

You say 100-125 fps is insignificant, well, perhaps but thats about the difference between the 280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag, or the 7mm rem to the 7mm STW or the 7mm STW to the 7mm RUM or the 300 WIn Mag and 300 Wby mag, or the 300 Wby Mag and the 300 RUM.

Does this mean that all these are meaningless......

Point being, I offered other options which is what this board is supposed to be all about and you came in and said it would be "Nuts" to go with anything larger then the 338 RUM unless your going to improve the Lapua. My comments is simply that that is untrue. Not trying to offend in any way but its not your choice to tell everyone if 100 to 125 fps is worth the larger cases, its for the individual and what they want.

Will an elk be able to tell the difference between a RUM and Edge at 800 yards, NOPE!!! But he would not be able to tell the difference between a 338 Win Mag and 338 Allen Magnum at 800 yards either if the bullet is put on the same point through the vitals, dead is dead but being able to choose from a variaty of chamberings that will get the job done is what makes this sport so fun and enjoyable.

First off, I did not intend to offend, just point out that your comments could have been taken quite differently then you intended. I was not reved up in any way, just pointing out why your point of view may not fit for alot more shooters then you think.

I average around 85 rifles shipped a year to customers. Full custom rifles ranging from $3000 up to $8000 rifles. Of those fully 20% are for customers that do not handload and never plan to handload...... Those are just my own numbers and I fully explain the limitations they are imposing on themselves shooting factory ammo but the simple fact is, there is a sizable number of people out there that have no desire to handload for their rifles, weither it be a $500 Savage or a $5000 APS custom, some just do not handload and do not want to.

The 100 to 125 fps velocity average is not a number I made up, its what I have seen with actual rifles, dozens of them. THe longer the barrel and the heavier the bullet, the higher the velocity advantage will be for the larger capacity chamberings. Not an opinion, just the way it is.

I personally think the 338 RUM is a great round but if you load for the 338 RUM, you can get 100 fps more performance with same bullet weights with no more effort in any way using the Edge and with no extra cost at all except a pennies worth of extra powder maybe.

You say 100-125 fps is insignificant, well, perhaps but thats about the difference between the 280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag, or the 7mm rem to the 7mm STW or the 7mm STW to the 7mm RUM or the 300 WIn Mag and 300 Wby mag, or the 300 Wby Mag and the 300 RUM.

Does this mean that all these are meaningless......

Point being, I offered other options which is what this board is supposed to be all about and you came in and said it would be "Nuts" to go with anything larger then the 338 RUM unless your going to improve the Lapua. My comments is simply that that is untrue. Not trying to offend in any way but its not your choice to tell everyone if 100 to 125 fps is worth the larger cases, its for the individual and what they want.

Will an elk be able to tell the difference between a RUM and Edge at 800 yards, NOPE!!! But he would not be able to tell the difference between a 338 Win Mag and 338 Allen Magnum at 800 yards either if the bullet is put on the same point through the vitals, dead is dead but being able to choose from a variaty of chamberings that will get the job done is what makes this sport so fun and enjoyable.

No offense was taken. I am not a builder such as yourself, and you made many valid points, that you have to take into account, because everybody is different. But, my "opinion" is still pretty much the same. If you handload, I'd still pick an improved version of the 338 lapua over the standard in a custom build.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.