338 lapua magnum

älg

I saw this new cartridge at a Norma 2008 catalog.- it is going to have similar performance to a 338 lapua but in a standard long action size.

Anyone has any direct experience with this cartridge ?? Some at snipershide claim having shot it already and compare it to a 338 lapua.-

now at the end of the day, it doesnt seem it is going to be much different in performance to a 338 edge :)

Edit.- I wanted to call the thread 338 norma magnum- sorry for the confussion

Last edited:
I didnt say I want one, was just enquiring about the cartridge itself.-

If I see good opinions.... then yes I may want one :)

I saw this new cartridge at a Norma 2008 catalog.- it is going to have similar performance to a 338 lapua but in a standard long action size.

Anyone has any direct experience with this cartridge ?? Some at snipershide claim having shot it already and compare it to a 338 lapua.-

now at the end of the day, it doesnt seem it is going to be much different in performance to a 338 edge :)

The .338 Lapua and the .338 Lapua Magnum are the same cartridge.

They are basically a 1 mile gun, in the right hands.

I have one and they need a brake on them to get the recoil down to a manageable feeling. Mine feels like you are shooting an FN FAL.

Theres alot of info on the .338 Norma Magnum on Snipers HIde. People testing the cartridge are claiming more speed with less powder. Sounds interesting.

it is based on the 416 rigby according to Norma´s catalog.

The 338 Lapua is also based on the 416 Rigby Case as is the Wetherby rounds, (338/378, 378, 416, and 460)
The only way to get more velocity with less powder is to increase chamber pressure, some people are shooting the 338 Lapua with 300 SMKs 2900 to 3000 FPS, to do this one only needs to accept the higher chamber presures. I am shooting the 300 SMKs out of my 338 Laupa at 2791 FPS, I have ran them higher but the brass requires a lot more effort to re-size if I do that

Last edited:
Tim North of Broughton Barrels shot one at the PA World open two weeks ago. He only had the gun three days before the match and still shot well. Black Hills is supposed to be getting 250,000 pieces of brass in sep.

Big advantage, is same MV or better as the Lapua in a standard mag box!

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.