Culture shock in Florida.....

300 ultra

Just flew out here from Oregon today for my cousins wedding and taking the kids to Disneyworld. Wow. 94 degrees and humid. If I dont drive 90 on the freeways I will get ran off the road. Went to Daytona Beach and that was cool but it seems like a whole different world down here. Its definettly flat. I drove around at dusk and saw some deer that were the size of my chocolate lab. Oh and I saw a dead armadillo on the side of the road I had to stop and look at. I wanted to bring it home but got shot down by the wife. Had to bring the laptop to check on LRH.

While in the Navy I lived in Jacksonville fr 4 years, went to spain for three and took a motorcycle (sportbike) when I got back there I hooked up with some of my friends and they were talking about some twisties that were really "technical" (lots of tight, decreasing radius curves) I have never been so out of place. When they caught up to me at the gas station they all told me I was going to get a ticket and lose my license. I was taking it easy in what seemed to me to be near straight roads. In Spain they did not enforce speed limits on motorcycles and the roads, while well kept are unbelievably curvy in the mountains, and they don't have a lot of guard rails.

On a positive note noone there thinks anything of it when they here "Hola, Buenos Dias". So they didn't think I was completely crazy, just a foreigner.

Nomad is that the giant mound of dirt in Jax that they use for building roads??? I used to climb that in my jeep!! Joking. I used to think east Arkansas was flat until I moved to Florida

Just flew out here from Oregon today for my cousins wedding and taking the kids to Disneyworld. Wow. 94 degrees and humid. If I dont drive 90 on the freeways I will get ran off the road. Went to Daytona Beach and that was cool but it seems like a whole different world down here. Its definettly flat. I drove around at dusk and saw some deer that were the size of my chocolate lab. Oh and I saw a dead armadillo on the side of the road I had to stop and look at. I wanted to bring it home but got shot down by the wife. Had to bring the laptop to check on LRH.

I was stationed in Jacksonville in the sixties, haven't been back since, too hot.
We got 14" of snow Thursday and we still had a couple feet on the ground. I live with mountains all around me, including Denali (Mt.McKinley) I just couldn't imagine living without mountains and 70* is about as hot as I care to see it.

Gus

I spent the first 45 years of my life in Florida . Surfing , Off shore fishing, hanging out at the beach etc ..
Moved to the mountains after the 2004 hurricane season Charlie, Ivan Frances and Jean asked me to move north. If you like 94 and humid try it without AC ( or any electric ) for a month it's not fun.
Now when I go back on business It's just not the same.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.