crash course in dialing your shot

Lonewolf74

Aright as the heading implies can anyone give me a crash course in dialing up a scope and using a mil/mil reticle and turret?

I think I know how to get started but want to be sure and not waste a bunch of rounds getting on paper at a distance.

I'm a little more familiar with moa but went with mil/mil because I understand how to use it to calculate distance and thought it would be pretty simple to use for such.

But what I'm not familiar with yet is what a mil =, like if I need to move the reticle 5" up how many clicks is that for a .1mil/click turret?

How do I use a ballistics program such as jbm

Thanks in advance for the help getting me started

Aright as the heading implies can anyone give me a crash course in dialing up a scope and using a mil/mil reticle and turret?

I think I know how to get started but want to be sure and not waste a bunch of rounds getting on paper at a distance.

I'm a little more familiar with moa but went with mil/mil because I understand how to use it to calculate distance and thought it would be pretty simple to use for such.

But what I'm not familiar with yet is what a mil =, like if I need to move the reticle 5" up how many clicks is that for a .1mil/click turret?

How do I use a ballistics program such as jbm

Thanks in advance for the help getting me started

Sorry I can't help you with mils. MOA makes much more sense to me. I would use my phone for a conversion calculator and convert the known inches into the unknown mils.

Hello,

Crash Course Version :)

Trash the thought of a "mil" being a unit of distance!! It is a unit of conical/angular measurement.

1/6400 of a degree in angular measure. That's 3.6 inches at 100 yards, or 3 feet at l,000 yards.

So to answer your "5 inch" question in regards to how many .1 mils adjustment..it would depend on the target distance in which a 5 inch adjustment needed to be made.

Mil systems will be easier for you once you start referring to the "adjustments" you need to make to change POI in terms of mils and not inches.
Lets say you are shooting a target at 100 yards and you are missing the center by 1 mil (3.6 inches as you call it), you would then either do a 1 mil hold or you would adjust your scope turret by 1 mil which is as you call it "10 clicks"

THEIS

Thanks Theis I actually just found an article that said the same thing and that does make it so much simpler. In essence your using the reticle as a ruler and each mil is your unit of measurement. There's no need to think of it in inches or feet or anything else except mils. Though I'll probably always keep in mind that a .1mil click is roughly 1/3" when making final adjustments for center.

Now when you have your comp for distance from a ballistics program, say it says 5.6 mils at 800 yrds do you just need to dial 5 mils plus 6 clicks more and your there? Is it that simple (given your compensations are accurate)?

Now when you have your comp for distance from a ballistics program, say it says 5.6 mils at 800 yrds do you just need to dial 5 mils plus 6 clicks more and your there? Is it that simple (given your compensations are accurate)?

Hello,

Yes, that part is no different than lets say the ballistic program said 5.6 MOA (Since your use to MOA term)..you just dial or hold the 5.6 and let it go.

Something else to remember when utilizing mildots.....not all mildots are same size. The US Army and USMC utilize different size "mildots" lol

THEIS

1 mil = 1/1000 of whatever range you are shooting. If you think in MOA, then 1 click (0.1 mil) is approximately 1/3" at 100 yds, 2/3" at 200 yds, etc. (No, this is not precise but it will get you on target in most cases. As was said earlier, 0.36" at 100 yds, not 0.33")

You can help prevent the confusion. Go to a good ballistic program just as JBM Ballistics and print your drop chart in mils. If you have a good MV and BC for your bullet you can get very close, then go to a range to prove it. Just start with the predicted and record the difference to make your own field proven ballistic table.

Best way I've come to think about it is to quit thinking of MOA or MIL in relation to inches at a given distance. MILs and MOA are both measurements in themselves - use them to dial up/down for a given correction.

The only time I really use 'inches' is to measure group sizes when developing a load - but even then it's to get an MOA measurement. I'm no expert by any means, but that's how I made it make sense to me. Hopefully it helps!

-Ian

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think i have a good grasp on it now I just gotta get my rifle finished and do some shooting to confirm and get comfortable with it

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.