Dialing Scope in MOA

Recently, I purchased a scope that has 1/8" click turrets and intend to use it for punching paper. Instead of creating my dope chart using clicks, I would like to create it using MOA as this is obviously much quicker than counting clicks. My turrets have MOA markings.

My question is since I have a 1/8" click say my drop chart says to input 6.8 MOA how would I do that considering 1/8" does not equate to 1.047.

I created wrote a chart which looks like this:

[FONT=&quot]1 click = .125 MOA [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
2 clicks = .250 MOA
3 clicks = .375 MOA
4 clicks = .5 MOA
5 clicks = .625 MOA
6 clicks = .75 MOA
7 clicks = .875 MOA
8 clicks = 1 MOA [/FONT]

So for the 6.8 MOA I would input 6 MOA and then another MOA, however I think by doing it this way I would fall short of the true adjustment I would need in elevation due to the fact that I converted not using 1.047.

Another example, I was told to dial 3.3 MOA into the scope so I turned the turret 3 MOA and then divided the 3 after the decimal point by 8 to get .375 which in my chart above means I would dial in an additional 3 clicks.

Will this work or am I converting 1/8" clicks to MOA incorrectly?

Kyle

*******After writing this I had a idea hit me, I wonder if I had 3.82 MOA if I could not dial in the 3 MOA and then the 82 is 82/100th of an inch so to convert that to 8th's since that is what my scope turret it set for (1/8" clicks") I did the following:

82/100 = ?/8 which would be 6.5 more clicks past 3 MOA and rounded up would make 3.82 MOA equal to 3 MOA and 7 clicks.

However, this still for some reason does not seem as if it would work since I am converting using whole inches and not 1.047" = 1 MOA.

Last edited:
Kyle,
Welcome to LRH!
Does your 1/8" scope turrets list a 1 for 1", 2 for 2" etc?
Describe your turret please, or tell me what scope you have so I can see or get a pic.

If your scope turret lists what 1 for one inch, 2 for two inches and so on, what you do is set up your ballistic software for 1/8 inch clicks.
Then your drop chart will be speaking the same language your scope understands.

Don't think in inches but rather in numbers. If it takes 6 1/8 inches at 100 yards for a 600 yard connection, instead of counting clicks or trying to think in MOA, simply dial your turret (assuming it has been zeroed) to the number 6 on your turret and add one click for the 1/8. hopefully your turret cap will also have a longer or bolder line for the 1/2" point as well.

Kyle,
Welcome to LRH!
Does your 1/8" scope turrets list a 1 for 1", 2 for 2" etc?
Describe your turret please, or tell me what scope you have so I can see or get a pic.

If your scope turret lists what 1 for one inch, 2 for two inches and so on, what you do is set up your ballistic software for 1/8 inch clicks.
Then your drop chart will be speaking the same language your scope understands.

Don't think in inches but rather in numbers. If it takes 6 1/8 inches at 100 yards for a 600 yard connection, instead of counting clicks or trying to think in MOA, simply dial your turret (assuming it has been zeroed) to the number 6 on your turret and add one click for the 1/8. hopefully your turret cap will also have a longer or bolder line for the 1/2" point as well.

Hi Ernie,

Thank you for the welcome to LRH! I recently found this site while looking for resources.

Here is the link to the scope I have mounted on the rifle:
8.5-25×44AO Tactical • Mueller Optics

You mention not thinking in inches but rather in numbers and give the example of 6 1/8 inches. My turret is marked with MOA markings, you will see in the photo on the link I sent you :) That is why I focus on dialing in MOA. If I had to think in numbers and the drop was say 40 inches needed in elevation it would be much easier to dial that in MOA since that is what the turret has markings for.

Thanks for the input!

Kyle

I think you're seeing exactly why 'clicks' from zero are easier.
You might also validate whether the scope & turrets are in inches/100yd, or MOA.
It isn't both.
The turrets are not in MOA if their adjustment causes IPHY correction.

Hi Ernie,

Thank you for the welcome to LRH! I recently found this site while looking for resources.

Here is the link to the scope I have mounted on the rifle:
8.5-25×44AO Tactical*•*Mueller Optics
You mention not thinking in inches but rather in numbers and give the example of 6 1/8 inches. My turret is marked with MOA markings, you will see in the photo on the link I sent you :) That is why I focus on dialing in MOA. If I had to think in numbers and the drop was say 40 inches needed in elevation it would be much easier to dial that in MOA since that is what the turret has markings for.

Thanks for the input!
Kyle

Do your turrets say "MOA" on them?

The scope turrets are not in MOA they are 1/8" click but have graduated measurement from 0-9. The graduations I believe are MOA graduations. In the link I provided you see a photo of the uncapped turret and these markings. Maybe these are not MOA markings but rather to show inches...but they look like MOA markings to me.

turrets.jpg

Last edited:
kyle look on the top of the turret or on the underside of the caps. there should be a little engraving or sticker saying either 1/8" @100yrd or 1/8moa.

kyle look on the top of the turret or on the underside of the caps. there should be a little engraving or sticker saying either 1/8" @100yrd or 1/8moa.

The only thing it says is 1/8" so it is not in MOA. My next question is in this image are the markings 0, 1 etc MOA or do those just represent an inch?

turrets.jpg

If those are not MOA markings but rather represent inch measurements...it would take forever to dial in elevation on this scope. However, if those are MOA measurements, it would be much much quicker.

Kyle:
I think you're splitting hairs. Consider this.....

1moa @ 100 = 1.047"

1moa @ 1000 = 10.47"

That's less than 1/2" of "error" at 1k.

Does that much "error" really matter?

hey mate i think that you may be a little confused. dialing moa and dialing inchs is pretty much the same thing. well.047 of an inch difference at 100 double that at 200 and so on. dialing up and moa at 100 will raise impact point 1.047 inchs. dialing 1 inch at 100 will raise it 1 inch at 100. (as long as your scope is exact in the amount of each click)
so if your drop is 220inchs at 100 then for ur 100m zero you would take it up 22 inchs. or in moa it would be 220/10.47=21.012. so 21 and 1/4 up and ur good to go.
as far as i remember thats rite. someone chime in if im sending him in the wrong direction

Kyle:
That's less than 1/2" of "error" at 1k.

Does that much "error" really matter?

Yes it does, actually.

Take that 1/2 of error, and take it times however many moa it takes your cartridge of choice to get from 100 to 1000yds.

For sake of example, and easy math, consider a .308 Winchester running a 155 (not exactly a LRH combination but one I know off the top of my head ;) ) - roughly 30 moa to 1k. 30 * .5 = 15", or about 1.5 moa off. Think you'd notice that much?

For the original poster... while you do need to figure out at some point whether you have IPHY or MOA adjustment (by running a box test, not by what the scope says on it), for your original question about the 'in between' values - its called 'interpolation'. The math for how much a quarter (inch, moa) represents is fairly simple - most people are generally able to remember 1/4 = .25, 1/2 = .5, 3/4 = .75. Eighths are only slightly more complicated - 0.125 each. So if your come-up is '6.8', round it down to 6.75, turn your scope to '6-3/4' (quarter moa clicks) or '6-6/8' (eighth minute clicks). With practice it becomes very much second nature. The one thing I do *not* recommend doing is changing your ballistic program input to '1/8 minute clicks' as mentioned earlier - then it will spit out something stupid like '54.4 clicks' (6.8 * 8), and then you're back to counting clicks which defeats the whole purpose of having micrometer scales on your scope turret IMHO. I can do 'mental gymnastics' converting (basic) fractions in the blink of an eye, but once you lose count when counting clicks... you generally get to start all over (yuk!)

YMMV,

Monte

I think maybe the scope is infact 1/8" MOA even though the turret says 1/8". The reason I say that is because when sighting it in when I did the math to know how many clicks I needed up down left or right to get to the center of the target it was not the correct distance. This immediately made me think that the scope wasn't 1/8" clicks but rather 1/8 MOA.

The odd thing about this scope is that it came with no instructions except 1 piece of paper explaining how to use the mil dots. This is the only scope I have ever bought that did not have anything explaining what the markings were or values. The scope is brand new from factory so I wonder if they forgot to put it in the box or if they just do not come with any?

I think I will continue to use the graduations on the turret (which seem to be about half a cm or maybe a cm apart as inch markings/MOA markings when I dial in my MOA corrections for elevation.

I have contacted the factory to see what they say about it.

Kyle

Kyle, to be frank, the factory gave you just what you were looking for in a scope. Right?
You bought into MilDots and assumed MOA, and only now try figuring out how to use any of it.
Next you'll wonder how MILs will work with your IPHY adjustments-used as MOA adjustments..
Hopefully next time you'll buy a scope with a simple crosshair and MOA adjustments, and will have played around with a ballistic program to see how easy this should be taken.

Monte, the 1/2" error 280FAN was referring to was total at 1Kyd, and not 1/2" at 100yds. He is right, it ain't much. Not even accounted for in sanctioned benchrest.
Also, when you refer to the stupid 54.4 clicks scenario, you would simply dial 54 clicks. Ballistic software math calculates/converts MOA, MILs, IPHY, and CLICKS just the same.
If you tell it to output clicks based on each being 1/8 IPHY, there would not be an issue as you could simply dial the solution. 54.7=55clicks dialed, 54.2 would= 54 clicks dialed..
Could it possibly get more accurate with 1/8" adjustments?

Foreign, you can't throw 100M into the mix as though the same as 100yds.
1 meter = 1.0936133 yards
Which brings up a fairly obvious reason scope makers should not dump in a mix of standards.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.