Dialing Scope in MOA

Kyle, to be frank, the factory gave you just what you were looking for in a scope. Right?
You bought into MilDots and assumed MOA, and only now try figuring out how to use any of it.
Next you'll wonder how MILs will work with your IPHY adjustments-used as MOA adjustments..
Hopefully next time you'll buy a scope with a simple crosshair and MOA adjustments, and will have played around with a ballistic program to see how easy this should be taken.

Monte, the 1/2" error 280FAN was referring to was total at 1Kyd, and not 1/2" at 100yds. He is right, it ain't much. Not even accounted for in sanctioned benchrest.
Also, when you refer to the stupid 54.4 clicks scenario, you would simply dial 54 clicks. Ballistic software math calculates/converts MOA, MILs, IPHY, and CLICKS just the same.
If you tell it to output clicks based on each being 1/8 IPHY, there would not be an issue as you could simply dial the solution. 54.7=55clicks dialed, 54.2 would= 54 clicks dialed..
Could it possibly get more accurate with 1/8" adjustments?

Foreign, you can't throw 100M into the mix as though the same as 100yds.
1 meter = 1.0936133 yards
Which brings up a fairly obvious reason scope makers should not dump in a mix of standards.

Actually, I got exactly what I was intending to get. I contacted the company they stated it is in 1/8 MOA and as for mil dots, I know exactly how they work and use them for hold over. As for knowing how to use them, that was never my question. I was unsure if the scope itself was in 1/8" click or 1/8 MOA since the turret did not differentiate. The scope dials as it should and the mil dots work wonderful for the hold overs. Thank you for your input.

Kyle

MikeCR & 280Fan,

If thats what you meant, then yes, you're correct. I apologize. Normally when people talk about the difference between MOA and IPHY and whether or not it matters, they give an example exactly as you did... and then can't figure out why their come-ups from 100yd to 1000yd are 'off' - which is why IMHO it matters, at least as far as finding out what a given scope really uses.

MikeCR,

I still think that counting clicks on a scope with micrometer scales graduated in MOA (or some semblance thereof) is a mis-use of the tool and prone to error in counting. Then again thats me and my experience - I start losing count after I run out of fingers and toes :rolleyes: so counting revolutions and moa thereafter works better than clicks for me. I 'see' targets in terms of MOA - which conveniently enough corresponds to the numbers on my scope turrets . Maybe you look at a target and 'see' how many clicks you need to come over or up. Tomat-oh vs. tomat-ah, I guess :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.