Coyote shooting distances?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
When calling in open land such as that found out west, how long are your coyote shooting opportunities?

I've killed a fair amount in the 3-400 range. If I feel solid, I don't wait for 'em to come closer. I got one at 804. He was mousing next to a hay bail I could range.

i have killed them....

anywhere from 10 ft to over 500 yds.....a lot will depend on where/how you set up. i like to set up so that i have a good vew of as much country as i can, but if you set up in scrub brush, expect to get closer shots, but you better be fast! if you have one of the remote controll callers you can set it up then back away to a higher spot....most of the time when i am calling, i have spotted the coyote already and know where he is coming from, but sometimes one will sneak in from a dif direction. AJ

When I call or walk & stock out behind the house I would be best armed with a 12 gauge.

Out in the desert where the roads are heavily traveled and yotes are heavily hunted if your lucky you'll see some quick movement and find that they hang up at around 5 or 600 yds. If you're really lucky they'll bark.

The best place to set is at the center pivot sprinkler system base which means that its at least 1320 feet to the lava rocks. That says the shortest shot is no less than 440 yards as it isn't very often they will venture into the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.