Coyote Rifles

Rather tha spend money on a custom gun would it be best to buy a Remington Sendero 25-06 and get the Nightforce for sure?
Thanks for everyones input so fart.

A custom rifle would be really nice but for shooting out to 400 yds, you really dont need it, unless you're looking at stretching your legs in the future. The Senderos have a great rep and with a little work and some good load development, most can easily be 1K rifles. I've mentioned this in the past, I like the SF better than the newer SFII. The SFII has a wider palm swell and beavertail forearm and it has those black flutes, none of which suits "my" taste. But is you like that, then get one. Otherwise. it's not too hard to pick up a NIB SF on gunbroker.

I totally agree with getting a scope that is as good or better than your rifle. I am a big NF fan, however, that is way more scope than you need for 400 yd shooting. On the other hand you will almost certainly never have a need to use their customer service like a lot of other scope owners do (Nikon , Luepy, Bushnell, Sightron, etc) Nothing like having your scope crap out on you a week before your big hunt.

Get the Sendero 25-06 and top it with a NF and you'll be set and ready to stretch your legs someday. Great for everything from rocks and PD's to deer.

-MR

I use a Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem and 85 gr HP. shoots 3 shots into 0.5" good enough for "minute of coyote." I have never had the occasion to overheat a barrel while coyote huntng.

I like a lighter weight rifle for work out in the field. I think a lot of guys overdue it by going with a heavy weight varmint barrel for coyotes. The rate of fire in not as rapid as what you would encounter on a PD town.

My choice would be a straight shooting "mountian rifle" style rifle in 6mm-06 or 25-06, on a Stiller repeater bolt action. But nothing wrong with any of the 284 based wildcats. 24" barrel minimum.

Just dreaming...

I use a 6mm with 75 gr. V-max. This combination works great for me. The rifle is a remington VLS barreled action in a remington VS stock. However; when it's time for a new barrel it will be a 6br so I can shorten the barrel to 22-24 inches not only for less weight, but it would be easier to carry where I call. I also run dogs and a shorter barrel tracels better in the truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.