coyote/fox

Do you hunt them at night n what is your setup ?
hi i shoot mostly night time i use a tikka t3 .222 i use a pulsar axiom xm30 thermal spotter and a pardnv007 which fits to my scope bayonet style with a black sun dark engine engine IR illuminator which i can see rabbits at up to 400 easy on a 100 foxs 75% will be 75-120yds the 20% up to 200 and a couple 250

shooter53 , you have a Merry Christmas as well and a good year in 2022 !
Just read a lot of your posts and cant wait to read the rest i was interested in one about powder deterioration due hot and cold temps, our temps are not as serious as yours but you got me thinking, if i reload enough ammo for we say a years shooting, after 6 months my grouping goes from 3/4"off grass (not a bench) 100yds to 11/2"- 2" i only reload 50 at a time now because of this, ive definitely learned something talking to you, thanks

I enjoy helping people that want to learn I'm glad if you can learn something from me that will be of use to you . There are a lot of knowledgeable people here . Most of our powders are coated with graphite , from what I was told by the people at Hodgen , and it can be rubbed off of the kernels of powder while riding around in your truck . They told me it was to help control the burn rate of the powder .

I grew up hunting fox with my Dad, uncle, and cousins. We threw out a couple of strike dogs and then let the rest of the pack (5-10) out. It was just to listen to the dogs run. When they thought the dogs were about to catch the fox, we would call them off. I still love to hear a pack of hounds on a trail.

Mostly day hunting I worked at predator control 12 months a year at least 2000 hours a year only took about 10-15 days a year off , I wasn't out there as a pleasure hunter and caller I was out there to protect livestock it was a job not a hobby that is were the difference lies between me and the majority of the people on this site they are out there to just have some fun and take a break from their every day jobs and lives . There are others out there that do it for a living that take far more coyote and other predators per year then I did most of them just don't talk about it or share their knowledge and experiences with others .
Where do I sign up. Dont sleep much any more any way. May as well do some thing, make a buck , and work a ranch too.

I worked for the county and privately for ranchers . I also worked with Wildlife Services a part of the USDA you apply with the USDA . A 40 hour a week job is 2040 hours a year . When I worked for ranchers they paid per coyote , fox or bobcat .

Sounds like you were like the Wildlife Services guy in Wind River!
You have that backwards, they modeled that characters job off of WS employees.

It's a good job most days, a great job some days, and like any other job (can be not a lot of fun) some days. It is a lot of work, in all weather conditions, with a lot of pressure a lot of the time, especially when you are cleaning up after people who just do it for fun or ranchers that try to take care of things then call you after they have failed and educated them. Personally I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You have that backwards, they modeled that characters job off of WS employees.

It's a good job most days, a great job some days, and like any other job (can be not a lot of fun) some days. It is a lot of work, in all weather conditions, with a lot of pressure a lot of the time, especially when you are cleaning up after people who just do it for fun or ranchers that try to take care of things then call you after they have failed and educated them. Personally I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Yes you are right but I think you know what I meant.
Must have been one hell of a ride being paid to hunt predators, Understand could be hard with weather, but doing something that you like is easier than doing something you don't. I know that even hunting and shooting can sometime turn into a JOB.
Can't beat working in GOD'S Country and Nature.
Would live to have several beers and some good Bourbon with you.

Its a lot different in the states to back here in Wales and the rest of the UK. We cant trap any more using snares, the biggest springtrap would be a fenn mk6 which would be 6" square for rats squirrels weasels/stoats and then they have to be covered so only these animals are caught, we can use cage traps. The smallest cal for deer would be a 243 even though a 22/250 or 220 swift would do the job on anything we have in this country, although you can use a 222 for small deer species roe/ muntjac in scotland. if we had a job killing predators and antiblood sport people found out windows would be smashed and if we confronted them gun licences would be lost, you guys are lucky, very lucky, we are limited to ammo to guns even calls are banned to shoot some things, we cant even kill a rat (a 4 legged one) with a bow or crossbow, but can with a catapult, air rifles are governed with a 12lb limit or they will need a firearms licence, if we were seen with a bowie knife we would be surrounded by armed response police, im nearly 69 so i can remember days of old before all these rule changes when people would eat wild things that were shot, i go out some nights shoot 80/100 rabbits and have to leave them there for the foxs and badgers, Even pheasant shoots cant give the shot birds away to many vegans here, god help us if we get a vegan Prime Minister or Charles turns into one

The cleaning up after other people was the aggravating part . Having windy weather day and night during the winter would be hard to deal with at times as well but you learn how to keep your things working in the wind , cold and snow . No drinking on the job if you wanted to stay on the job but then I don't think weapons and drinking go well for me any way as well as driving and drinking doesn't , I don't drink anything stronger then coffee and diet coke any way now . You can put 35000 miles on your truck in a year it was 65 miles just to get to some of the places I worked for . You either love it or hate it and if you don't love it find another thing to do .

The cleaning up after other people was the aggravating part . Having windy weather day and night during the winter would be hard to deal with at times as well but you learn how to keep your things working in the wind , cold and snow . No drinking on the job if you wanted to stay on the job but then I don't think weapons and drinking go well for me any way as well as driving and drinking doesn't , I don't drink anything stronger then coffee and diet coke any way now . You can put 35000 miles on your truck in a year it was 65 miles just to get to some of the places I worked for . You either love it or hate it and if you don't love it find another thing to do .
over here i put a maximum of 15mph winds and i wont go out i know im not going to see anything and if i called for hours it would be the same as far as wind drift, most of my shooting distances i would still be in the kill zone, ive been shooting and hunting foxs for well over 50 yrs and anything over 15mph stay in or waste my time, whats the lowest the temp drops where your from