Coyote Calling

Coyotecaller

Hi,

I am an amatuer coyote hunter.... I own a 22. LR with Hollow Point shells (It CAN kill coyotes!) anyway, I also own the Primos HotDogg and the Primos Ki-Yi (Callers), I just want to know, what order of calls works the best and what's the best techniques to hunt coyotes with great success? I know my calls are real, because, last night, I only used the Ki-Yi, calling for a wounded pup, the owner of the land that let us use it thought he had caught a coyote in his trap!:D Can you help me?

I don't know if there is a best series of calls. I can offer some suggestions and you can experiment to see what works for you and on your coyotes. Depending on the circumstances, I'll start with a couple of long or "lonesome" howls. You can do that on your Hotdog call. This will do two things...it can be a confidence call putting coyotes at ease and it can stimulate a territorial response in a local pair of coyotes. It can unfortunately do a third thing. If the cover is tight or the wind is blowing and you get close to coyotes without them hearing you, it can scare the crap out of them. (Ask me how I know....) So, if you think you could be in the third situation, start with some soft distress on your Ki Yi. A simple "Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaa" will do it. In senario number three, do that for a couple of minutes and then go to your howls if nothing shows.

If you get a response to your howls, the best advice is to throw whatever they say back at them. If not, start your distress. You can start medium and go loud then reduce the volumn as the coyotes have a chance to get closer to you. If you become convinced that nothing is responding to your distress, you might use the hurt pup sounds that got your neighbor stirred up. Then go back to distress to finish the stand.

That'll get you started. But, keep in mind that there are a lot of things more important than sounds to have a successful stand. Go in quiet---no door slamming, talking, etc. Set up where you will have reasonable chance to see the approaching coyote (and where coyotes live). Make the coyote expose himself if he wants to smell you. And, be patient and persistent. The learning curve is steep. You might spend a few hours over on the Predator Masters site reading some old posts. A couple of videos would help you get a feel for sounds. Randy Anderson's Mastering the Art is a good one. You may have gotten it with your calls.

Good luck. Take pictures of the trophies!

Tim
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Hunting Gear
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Well put! Can't wait to start my new hunting ground. I asked my cousin if I could hunt on his land, he said yes. One of his woods has coyotes in there that are thicker than flies. I will be sitting up against a tree on one of the sides calling them in. I bet my cousin is glad to get rid of the things. He runs a Dairy Farm, which has never had coyote problems whatsoever, but, I'm hoping to get doubles on my first try. I've been watching nearly 6 hrs. of Randy Anderson's "Calling All Coyotes" and I've been imitating his calls with great success accept for the one call where It sounds like an exaderated kiss. Do you know how to do this sound on either of the calls I own? I've heard the call makes the coyotes run in!

A lot of people just make a kissing sound by pursing their lips. Others kiss or kind of suck on the back of their hand. Not sure if that's what Randy is doing or not. I don't remember it on the video. Good luck on those coyotes!

It's best to give it two to four weeks then use a different set-up and change up the sounds/sequence. It doesn't take coyotes very many lessons to get them call shy. If you kill everything that shows up, the stand will stay good for a long time. One or two rounds of shooting without killing and it can get pretty tough.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.