Coyote Calling

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We just had a about 30-40 yotes calling back to us, Jill and I were on our back deck. We live in a kind of a Horse Shoe Piece of Land from when they put in the new reservoir for public water, The animals are kind of land trapped and our house is in the middle of the horse shoe.. Trapper on three sides. We have everything running through our property in a weekly basis. Coons, skunks, squirrels (all kinds). Then Deer, coyotes, foxes beavers, skunks, armadillos, OTTERS (they kill everything. Hogs.
Ever since the Water Board got involved and wanted to pay their friends for the most amount of money for the land. Then the land taken only to be sold for pennies off the dollar to Council members,
Well one thing we have more hogs now and can't shoot enough of the coyotes to manage the population.
As soon as my neck get better will be posting out harvests,

.... Ever since the Water Board got involved and wanted to pay their friends for the most amount of money for the land. Then the land taken only to be sold for pennies off the dollar to Council members....

Why am I not surprised. 😡

May your neck improve & provide the opportunity to (legally) thin the critter traffic.

I've never been good at coyote calling.

Have any tips?
What color of light is best for night hunting?

They're very house and call shy here as well so we dont get too many shots at them even though there's probably hundreds in the neignirhood (just judging by the howling).

I want to make some blankets clothing items from coyote this year so I'll need a bunch of hides.

Have any tips?

They're very house and call shy here as well so we dont get too many shots at them even though there's probably hundreds in the neignirhood (just judging by the howling).

I want to make some blankets clothing items from coyote this year so I'll need a bunch of hides.
Calling
If you can't use a mouth call get a GOOD electronic call. They cost $$$s but will get you kills.
Issue is that when hunters that don't hunt correctly, the Yotes learn fast and know the difference between real animal calls and amateur calling. You can train a Yote not to come to you or anyone else really easy.
Best light-None
Use NV or Thermal.
You can use Red lights or Green Laser, but once you use Thermal for Detection & NV to shoot or just the newer Thermal you won't want to hunt with anything else.
I have a NEW high watt Red light Night Predator that mounts to your scope with special on off switches that we could sell you at a really fair price if interested. Definity will light up a Yote, Hog, Catto be able to shoot through your scope. A lot less than $6-10 K for Thermal -NV.

You are out there trying to imitate another animal so study that animals ways as well as the ways that coyote behave . Exercise caution going to and coming from your stands making as little noise as you can , pay attention to wind direction and air currents . If you absolutely have to use a light use a red or blue light and keep it from shinning directly into their eyes by holding it higher then the ground using the edge of the light cone to make their eyes shine . All animal sounds have times that they work better or worse several sounds are seasonal especially coyote vocalizations so it's a good idea to figure out when and where you want to use what sounds . They live or die because of their intelligence or lack of it . Enjoy your time out there and don't make it a job they are called the gray ghost for a reason .

Last edited:
Coyote Shadow Tracker hope you heal well and fast , I am sure that you have lost your friend and loved dog by now so you have my condolences . Sadly with neck injuries comes arthritis stiffness , broken necks equal fused necks as do blown disks lack of mobility and not being able to shoot heavy recoiling rifles as you are well aware of don't rush it as I did and am now saying darn I wish I would have listened but it's too late now .

Coyote Shadow Tracker hope you heal well and fast , I am sure that you have lost your friend and loved dog by now so you have my condolences . Sadly with neck injuries comes arthritis stiffness , broken necks equal fused necks as do blown disks lack of mobility and not being able to shoot heavy recoiling rifles as you are well aware of don't rush it as I did and am now saying darn I wish I would have listened but it's too late now .
Thanks for the comment. November 29th is the day for the next surgery and implant. This is the last hope for any relief.
Shooting doesn't bother me since everything is "Fused" and have screws, plates, rods. Built like a tank.
Samson is still around. Had about six weeks were everyday we thought would be his last. Could not bring myself to put him down and He kind of snapped out of the coma and turned back in the old miserable king of the house.
Thanks again.
Len

Good to hear Sampson is doing well . Good luck with your surgery . My metal gets hot and stays hot or gets cold and stays cold hopefully they have things figured out better now for yours . again good luck with your surgery .

Have any tips?

I dont know your area so I will qualify mine. PM me if you want more details. I will leave a few for future viewers. I hunt rural public and private farm land. The calls we use differ as the season goes. I just gave my foxpro (they work and everyone i know within five counties has a foxpro) to my kid, and my Icotec will be here monday. Slightly different sounds (brands/sequence) really make a difference. All a matter of learning by mistakes. The key to learning for me is to take notes on what the location/terrain/date/weather are for future reference.
Find someone to buy them, we have a guy who paid last year $30 unskinned and not blown up. Don't know this years price as he is gone hunting until tomorrow. Camo that truly blends in, and set up so they cant get right behind you (down wind) without you seeing them. Glass the area before you enter it and even before you start calling. Dont shoot unless you know you will kill it, and keep calling after the shot. They are insanely smart. Use a motion decoy or even a montana decoy. Don't be moving at all if possible and absolutely the minimum you can. If electronic call set up down wind of it, and be aware of wind direction. I use a mouth call and electronic many times at the same time. Try both intermittent calling 3-4 on 10 off, and constant on at times. I will call for up to 30 minutes constant often. Sit and wait for another 10 after you stop calling, and slowly get up and pay attention when picking up to move. Neighbor called a few days ago with them trying to bait her dogs out again. Shot one in her front yard using K9/coyote sounds after a howl. Remember the more you shoot the more pups they have.

Reelamin, thanks for all the info. I'm taking in all the good advice. Will definitely be getting a good call. What do you think about using real farm animal distress sounds such as when a goat gets stuck in a fence or when a baby lamb can't find its mother?

Seems like there's food type sounds and pack communication or challenge calls that can be used..what have you found more effective? Feel free to pm me if you'd like. Wait, can I get pms? Not sure.

I know it's alot of work, but my lady and I want to make some coyote fur blankets and couch throws, etc. Seems only fair after all the sheep I fed them when I was still ranching.

Last edited:
Yes local farm animal or any animal in distress works. Try to match to the season and what the livestock is doing. When they are calving I like dog and coyote challenge with animal distress. If you have a local FFA or 4H program or pig farmer. A mad pig getting drug from one pen to another by a back leg is great. Ask everyone to try their best not to cuss and yell..LOL. Just record on your phone.
Early season they are super responsive to more sounds and slow down the more they are hunted.
I use normal coyote sounds mostly with some howling initially. Later when breeding I use the challenge more often. So far in our area they are looking very good.
Sent a PM.

Calling
If you can't use a mouth call get a GOOD electronic call. They cost $$$s but will get you kills.
Issue is that when hunters that don't hunt correctly, the Yotes learn fast and know the difference between real animal calls and amateur calling. You can train a Yote not to come to you or anyone else really easy.
Best light-None
Use NV or Thermal.
You can use Red lights or Green Laser, but once you use Thermal for Detection & NV to shoot or just the newer Thermal you won't want to hunt with anything else.
I have a NEW high watt Red light Night Predator that mounts to your scope with special on off switches that we could sell you at a really fair price if interested. Definity will light up a Yote, Hog, Catto be able to shoot through your scope. A lot less than $6-10 K for Thermal -NV.
True about thermal, however a red coyote light has caused me to make literally dozens of kills, thermal is on my list still researching.