Coyote calling surprise!!!!!

In 1986, which was the last time I hunted elk with my. 270, I was mauled by a boar grizzly hunting close to Yellowstone National Park. The next time and several years after I carried a .338 Winchester Mag and a S&W Model29 in .44 Mag. When I started thinking back about the attack of the bear I thought that neither of them would have thwarted the attack. I was carrying overkill, extra weight, and one bear in 28 seasons of elk hunting. Left the. 44 and took a can of bear spray afterwards and buy a new one every other year.
I like your style! You can feel better carrying big guns but can you make the shot when the $h!t hits the fan? Nothing is guaranteed with wild animals, especially bears. They all have different personalities just like us humans.

In 1986, which was the last time I hunted elk with my. 270, I was mauled by a boar grizzly hunting close to Yellowstone National Park. The next time and several years after I carried a .338 Winchester Mag and a S&W Model29 in .44 Mag. When I started thinking back about the attack of the bear I thought that neither of them would have thwarted the attack. I was carrying overkill, extra weight, and one bear in 28 seasons of elk hunting. Left the. 44 and took a can of bear spray afterwards and buy a new one every other year.

any idea what caused the attack?

any idea what caused the attack?
Yes. The Fish & Game told me they found part of a fawn mule deer at the site they thought he was protecting. They think that it was sleeping and awoken by me coming through some Jack Pines between him and his kill. I shot him in the throat as he knocked me over breaking the hinge on his left lower jaw. Amazingly he could still bite with such incredible force but they figured that was what saved me. They tracked him down the next day and disposed him. The infection inside of my body he left took over 7 months to kill.

Last edited:
Yes. The Fish & Game told me they found part of a fawn mule deer at the site they thought he was protecting. They think that it was sleeping and awoken by me coming through some Jack Pines between him and his kill. I shot him in the throat as he knocked me over breaking the hinge on his left lower jaw. Amazingly he could still bite with such incredible force but they figured that was what saved me. They tracked him down the next day and disposed him. The infection inside of my body he left took over 7 months to kill.

wow, sorry to hear that. I hike and hunt in black bear country and I couldn't even imagine being in that situation. It would freak the daylights out of me. Of most books I've read about bear maulings/attacks most of the victims don't even have the time to draw a weapon because of the distance between bear/human due to thick vegetation and undergrowth.

wow, sorry to hear that. I hike and hunt in black bear country and I couldn't even imagine being in that situation. It would freak the daylights out of me. Of most books I've read about bear maulings/attacks most of the victims don't even have the time to draw a weapon because of the distance between bear/human due to thick vegetation and undergrowth.
I can't tell you if I pulled my trigger or was just fortunate enough that my rifle was in the position when it jumped on me. It broke my stock and scope when it came on me. It terrified me going hunting for several years afterwards. But Vietnam was far worse than the bear.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.