Cost of a Custom Rifle with Glass

Ive heard the argument of f people saying i dont need a custom rifle when they can buy christensen or a fierce ect. Most have never shot a full custom gun to know the difference. I wont touch a factory gun of any brand anymore for doing load work unless owner is open to opening his check book. Too many issues in past.
Factory rifles are better than ever, I bought (and sold) several CA Ridgelines and they were great rifles for roughly $2k and the new Tikkas are very good I hear. I'm not here to say that factory rifles are bad, it's just at this point in my life, I want the best I'm comfortable spending and the DIY process makes is much easier and affordable than it's ever been.

What would you spend or have spent?

What is your budget (costs) for a complete custom rifle with glass if you were having someone build for you or you building?
Since today I finally finished our Taxes and had a lot of receipts to go over.

I was tabulating some costs of our rifles from last year with glass including purchase price shipping & taxes. We have (5) builds like this.
$1,500 - Stock with inlet & bedding or Chassis
$500.00 to $2,000.00 for BiPod or Front Rest
$1,500 - $2,000.00 - Action
$550.00 for SS Barrel
$800.00 for CF Barrel
Buy (2) Same Barrels at the same time. First barrel to Dial in and or Fire Form and Second for having an accurate rifle.
$300.00 to 400.00 Trigger
$300.00 - $400.00 for Scope Mount
$200.00- Brake
$3,000.00 to $4,000.00 + for Glass
$300.00 ++++ for Gunsmith to Chamber Fit & Finish
$300.00 - $400.00 for Dies - Only component for reloading, all the other reloading components $$$$.

Glass is the most expensive component.

$8,500.00+ mid range cost.
I can see that many people have more of a taste for Champaigne than I do.
The most I have paid for a single firearm is $2200 and that was for a custom, engraved long barreled revolver with a removable shoulder stock. It is one of a kind.
It is just a beautiful safe queen.
As for custom rifles, I did pay $1300 for a custom target rifle without glass.

I wont touch a christensen 5 for 5 now have been garbage. Unsafely Over pressure with factory ammo. All of them i have had. My point was most who think they are quality havent shot a custom built rifle built by someone who knows how to build one not all smiths are equal either
The smith who built my Win 70s is a member of the American Customer Gunmakers Guild, her knows his stuff, a true artist in metal and wood and they performed as expected. I still think a properly tuned Win 70 trigger is the finest "hunting" trigger available! I purchased five CA rifles in the last three years, 6mm CM, 6.5CM, 308, 270 and 7mm RM and all performed as expected, no problems. I did eventually sell them all off, except the 270, as I was using the funds for other builds. CA components are close to what you might get with a custom, Rem 700 clone, carbon barrel, trigger tech, etc.. The problem is that they are mass produced and QC and tolerances are what you get in todays market. If you watch many Ultimate Reloader videos, I can't imaging how the factories even get the results they do with assembly line production but they do ok. Bolt action rifles are incredibly simple, it's all about quality components and attention to detail in the chambering process.

Rifle below is a Win 70, Shilen barrel at 24", Brown Precision stock.

I tried BMW, Mercedes, Rover and many others, now I drive a FORD! Yes, I envy the real nice custom rifles I see you guys with, but I am happy with my WInchesters and Weatherby's.
Enjoy what you like, no reason or excuse necessary!
I really like what Weatherby is doing in Sheridan these days! I'm going to see if I can get a tour when I'm passing through this May. I drive a Chevy BTW.

Scope: $4,000
Rings: $200
Anti-cant: $100
Scope Caps/Shade: $150
Suppressor, tax stamp & cover: $1,300
Bipod: $300
Stock/Chassis: $1,000 - $1,700
Action: $1,450
Barrel Blank: $300 - $600
Trigger: $150
Barrel Work: $450
Spare Mags: $300
Cleaning rod & jag & rifle case: $300
Log book & pen: $20

About $10k all-in.

Starting about a year ago I began selling off guns I have either not shot or lost interest in. After thinning 30+ , this winter I started buying components for several full custom builds. Starting to receive some of them back, but not too bad of a wait. I found some good holiday deals and good prices off LRH.
650.00 …Manners stock.
1300…MDT chassis
850-1350 …Defiance actions
350…Brux or Bartlein barrels
175 … trigger Tech
450…chamber and thread
175…bedding
200…bipod
2000-2500…NF or Kahles
100…shipping
Total cost:$4900-6100

Scope: $4,000
Rings: $200
Anti-cant: $100
Scope Caps/Shade: $150
Suppressor, tax stamp & cover: $1,300
Bipod: $300
Stock/Chassis: $1,000 - $1,700
Action: $1,450
Barrel Blank: $300 - $600
Trigger: $150
Barrel Work: $450
Spare Mags: $300
Cleaning rod & jag & rifle case: $300
Log book & pen: $20

About $10k all-in.
To my way of thinking, if you're spending $4k on a scope, you better be bringing home some prize money!

To my way of thinking, if you're spending $4k on a scope, you better be bringing home some prize money!
To my way of thinking, I spend well over $4k/year on ammo for my bolt guns, and I don't even want to know how much time shooting and dry firing. A $4k scope isn't expensive in the long haul if you're actually getting out there and using it. To each their own of course.

The last 40 years of improvements in the bullets, Optics, and rifle components, have all contributed to add another 400 - 500 yards on the far end of a make able long distance shot. Just better days for all hunters. About every 10 years just add 100-125 yards to a guy's max range, due mostly thru higher tech toys.

Last edited: