Cost of a Custom Rifle with Glass

For hunting practicality, why would one spend more on a custom to get less accuracy? For thousands more, I cannot justify buying anything that won't do better than a Sauer 100 can do. Now if you just want to spend thousands more, Sauer does make rifles with all the custom type bells, whistles and features any kind of stock. But for me this is fancy enough.
YES to answer your statement. For Hunting a GREAT Factory Rifle is all you need.
BUT why say "
why would one spend more on a custom to get less accuracy?
Why say LESS Accuracy?

Give you an ANALOGY of purchasing a Custom to Factory

Buying a Harley and putting all the Bells, Skulls, Whistles, Leather on it to ride
OR Riding a Suzuki with Handlebar Streamers, Pinwheels & training wheels. 🤫

We have several hunting rifles that are FACTORY ( 700s, Model 70s, Kimbers) we tuned up and paid from $400 to $1,200 without glass. They shoot <1/2" and <3/8" with handloads. Well we would not own anything less. These are the rifles that the more than average hunter wants.

I don't think that you can just build a rifle like a Good/Great Factory Rifle from Custom Components for THE PRICES --materials are different along with the manufacturing process.

Just asking what some will be "Wanting-Willing" to put $s into a build.

We won't just build a Factory SAAMI chamber rifle. Would rather build with the best components, tooling & time.

Elk long ranging with a Bat 3 lug in .338 edge...big thunder !
FB_IMG_1675281681045.jpg

I have one being built right now at Benchmark. Cost breakdown;
Benchmark custom stock, bedding, cerakote, muzzle break, chambering, true action, tap action for 8-40 screws, recoil lug, sako extractor, fit bottom metal to stock- 1800.00

Remington 700 action - 320.00
Remington 700 mag bolt - 200.00
Benchmark carbon barrel - 800.00
Badger M5 bottom metal - 170.00
Badger 20MOA canted base - 160.00
Badger rings - 150.00
Leupold VX6 - 1800.00
Hatch bipod with adapter - 450.00

5850.00 total. Add another 1-2k for a better optic it's right in that ballpark without a custom action. One day I'll have a rifle with an Impact action and awesomer scope than my leupolds. I'd say that 8500 with good glass and action is a great deal! Might have to talk to you about doing a prefit barrel for an impact action here soon,…..

For hunting practicality, why would one spend more on a custom to get less accuracy? For thousands more, I cannot justify buying anything that won't do better than a Sauer 100 can do. Now if you just want to spend thousands more, Sauer does make rifles with all the custom type bells, whistles and features any kind of stock. But for me this is fancy enough.
I had a sauer 100, smooth action but the consistency wasn't there. One day it would shoot well then the next day it wouldn't. Tried everything, eventually it was a 200 yard and under gun because I couldn't trust it. Plus it's a disposable gun. I don't think there are too many smiths out there that would try and rebarrel one. They are press fitted barrels.

I get consistency and trust when shooting an animal out to 500-600 yards. That's my limit, I am not good enough to shoot over that. I have shot crows and woodchucks at 500 with my semi-custom 22 creed. I do have a few factory rifles left but only a couple. Not really worth it anymore.

I bought my Defensive Edge Canyon rifle package more than a week ago. A LOT MORE. It camein, with glass (Nightforce NXS and rings), over $4k. I might be able to find the receipt to get an exact price but there's no point. It's up around $12k now if I remember right. Bat action, 30" Hart barrel, DE recoil lug, etc, etc. It's the best shooting rifle I'll ever own.

I have one being built right now at Benchmark. Cost breakdown;
Benchmark custom stock, bedding, cerakote, muzzle break, chambering, true action, tap action for 8-40 screws, recoil lug, sako extractor, fit bottom metal to stock- 1800.00

Remington 700 action - 320.00
Remington 700 mag bolt - 200.00
Benchmark carbon barrel - 800.00
Badger M5 bottom metal - 170.00
Badger 20MOA canted base - 160.00
Badger rings - 150.00
Leupold VX6 - 1800.00
Hatch bipod with adapter - 450.00

5850.00 total. Add another 1-2k for a better optic it's right in that ballpark without a custom action. One day I'll have a rifle with an Impact action and awesomer scope than my leupolds. I'd say that 8500 with good glass and action is a great deal! Might have to talk to you about doing a prefit barrel for an impact action here soon,…..
Not to say anything negative on 700 Actions. They are great if squared/trued. We have Factory 700s that shoot GREAT. Look at what every other Action Manufacture copies off of.
You have a really nice build that anyone would love to have, and we will BET you a box of bullets, that you will be enjoying a day at the range shooting some bugholes more than siting home watching Oprah on the TV. :D
What cartridge, bullet, barrel twist are you shooting?
If we can help you out in the future let us know.
God Bless
Len & Jill

I bought my Defensive Edge Canyon rifle package more than a week ago. A LOT MORE. It camein, with glass (Nightforce NXS and rings), over $4k. I might be able to find the receipt to get an exact price but there's no point. It's up around $12k now if I remember right. Bat action, 30" Hart barrel, DE recoil lug, etc, etc. It's the best shooting rifle I'll ever own.
I tried to put the prices on the lower side because some shooters that I might be over the top spending north of $10K.
We have well over $50k in five rifles at our cost sitting next to our Lathe waiting to be assembled.

I put a rifle together a little over a year ago and this is what it cost me.It does not include scope,rings,reloading dies,brass or bullets. I also did the bedding job myself.I enjoyed every step and can't wait to do the next one!!! I have about 6k including the scope,dies and brass.

custom action 1500.00
Pre fit barrel 900.00
wyatt 100.00
Bdl bottom 200.00
Trigger 200.00
muzzlebrake 200.00
Stock 900.00
front rail 50.00
Bedding compound 50.00
Total $4100.00

Last one Defiance anti, proof carbon, trigger tech, manners ehi, rem bottom metal, Talley mounts, CA titanium brake, vx5hd all done $4400. Current one being done all same except anti x should b right at 4600 all in. Acquired pieces for couple years watching for deals.
What cartridge did you select?

Customs are definitely not for the faint of wallet. Based on the last couple of years of increasing prices, I'm glad I got mine done when I did. But "done" is a misnomer. There always seems to be something that catches my eye that I want to try. Hospital bills and taxes put the brakes on some of my plans at least temporarily. A new stock and TT315 will nearly equal the cost of the base rifle I had built. I try not to add up all the costs. Once you add up all the items (suppressor, bipod, glass, rings, extra mags, gun case, etc., etc.), you are way past $10k.

What would you spend or have spent?

What is your budget (costs) for a complete custom rifle with glass if you were having someone build for you or you building?
Since today I finally finished our Taxes and had a lot of receipts to go over.

I was tabulating some costs of our rifles from last year with glass including purchase price shipping & taxes. We have (5) builds like this.
$1,500 - Stock with inlet & bedding or Chassis
$500.00 to $2,000.00 for BiPod or Front Rest
$1,500 - $2,000.00 - Action
$550.00 for SS Barrel
$800.00 for CF Barrel
Buy (2) Same Barrels at the same time. First barrel to Dial in and or Fire Form and Second for having an accurate rifle.
$300.00 to 400.00 Trigger
$300.00 - $400.00 for Scope Mount
$200.00- Brake
$3,000.00 to $4,000.00 + for Glass
$300.00 ++++ for Gunsmith to Chamber Fit & Finish
$300.00 - $400.00 for Dies - Only component for reloading, all the other reloading components $$$$.

Glass is the most expensive component.

$8,500.00+ mid range cost.
I think that it must be irksome as all get out to spend that much money building a rifle and then have a guy in the next bay at the range print a group as good or better with something like a $500 Savage or a Tikka for a little more!!